#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Let's face it, it came down to his marking as that's where the question marks were. Could get hitouts, could kick straight reasonably regularly. But when he came back in a clunked some big contested grabs [after doing it in the twos], that sealed the deal.
Get back on top.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kymbo5@yahoo.com.au »

Very relieved to hear it and excited by it also. A nice ringing endorsement of confidence from Mason on not only his future, but the CFC.
kymbo
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Feel three years is a bit long. I hope we're still prepared to play him as backup if that's what is best.

One thing is for certain we need to be more decisive in our selection of Cox, whether it means we play him more or less. Indecision hurt us this year.
Well done boys!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

stui magpie wrote: If we're going to buckle Cox and grundy into the second tall forward spot, FFS draft a decent young prospect who can have 2 years development time.
This. Cox definitely gives us some nice cover for the moment, but I have serious doubts he'll make it as a second tall forward in a successful team. Definitely needs to play significant time in the ruck and I feel we need another strong marking option, probably a medium like Stringer or Crameri, another tall could be too top heavy. We could definitely do with a young developing tall in case the Cox experiment goes wrong (or finishes up as he hits 30 in a few years).
Well done boys!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I think there's a few things that need to pointed out here.
Firstly Cox in the early part of the season wasn't showing massive impact on the game. It could have been a combination of our poor entries and him being targeted wrongly.
When he came in for the last game he was full of confidence and played accordingly. He started as first ruck and seemed to really like the fact and when he went forward grabbed a couple marks and kicked well. It showed he and Grundy can function together and be more than a handful

Secondly his age isn't a issue. His body hasn't been bashed and hammered since he was a teen like most. He actually in terms of sport is likely a age of early 20's coupled with his learning curve his best is yet to come. What level he can reach is the unknown factor and he's definitely worth another 3yr investment. We could have the next big thing (pun not intended)

Lastly the move by Buckley to personally intervene by going to breakfast and talking directly to the player instead of having the information relayed through a manager was first class. It serves multiple purposes really. Cox would have known he was a commodity on the open market and would have had several clubs interested. The coach took the time to sit down away from club and speak to him directly and he would have been able to speak openly and honestly with the player. Showing this level of interpersonal interaction would have been a strong reason the player would have thought "hey this guy the bloke in charge really wants me and thinks I'm valuable" smart move by the coach.
Cox has repayed our investment now by committing to us long term. If he continues to improve again in 2018 and can impact the scoreboard more consistently he will be invaluable
The worst case scenario here is we have brought a better than average ruck back up to Grundy for 3 years giving us time to develop a better long term solution.
The best case scenario is we have a just invested 3 years into a 7ft ruck forward who's capable of kicking 2-3 goals a weeks (50+ a season) thus improving our scoring potential massively
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

E wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:Wonderful news. I'm absolutely thrilled that Mason Cox has signed for 3 more years. He and Grundy are going to form a deadly duo as a ruck combination in the coming years. It will free up Moore to play all over the ground and not have to cover in the ruck. Suddenly our forward line woes are not as bad as we have been making out and it gives us the time to develop another tall forward that we draft in the national draft coming up. Good times ahead.
how exactly did our forward line woes improve with an announcement that it wont be changing???

Last weeks of the season are always fools gold!!! dont be sucked in.

We need a KPP who can be another focal point as we do much much better when Moore is not the sole focal point.

We need to find a way to get a solid marking target into the team.

Cox is incredibly valuable insurance against the likes of a Grundy injury/suspension and i can see games where the two of them can do well together. Especially now that Grundy looks like a better marking target!
Yup. Hopefully Darcy comes into his own and gains a few kg over summer. But we still need a seasoned performer, and we still need a big solid smart backline general.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

The best indication of Mason's continuing development was that other teams were actually interested in him.

For all his determination, the same didn't happen with Shae.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Interesting to look at how he marks - very much a basketball catch. He tends to grab the ball and then pull it into his body - in basketball they do this so the ball can't be stolen.

He is a very accurate kick for goal given how little time he has been playing - probably has a lot to do with a cool temperament
I think therefore I think - I think
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Mason was given a year more than the coach I am impressed. Good luck to the lad, he towelled up Gawn and can generally kick straight.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

This gives us reason to go after Ben Lennon.

We've got the rolling combination of Grundy,Cox and Moore through FF/CHF, id like to see Lennon as medium marking tall to compliment them.

It will stretch the defence in the air, along side two very capable smaller marking forwards in Fasolo and Elliott.

Kirby would be the crumbing on the deck.

Fasolo needs to focus more time on being a forward pocket rather than a FF (as he has been forced to do recently).

Elliott just needs to do what he does - flexibility between in the air and on the ground he has well balanced.
droversdog65

Post by droversdog65 »

ad4eva wrote:This gives us reason to go after Ben Lennon.

We've got the rolling combination of Grundy,Cox and Moore through FF/CHF, id like to see Lennon as medium marking tall to compliment them.

It will stretch the defence in the air, along side two very capable smaller marking forwards in Fasolo and Elliott.

Kirby would be the crumbing on the deck.

Fasolo needs to focus more time on being a forward pocket rather than a FF (as he has been forced to do recently).

Elliott just needs to do what he does - flexibility between in the air and on the ground he has well balanced.
We need more than Kirby crumbing - and they don't grow on trees.
Killbot

Post by Killbot »

457 Visa Holder taking Aussie jobs!
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Another feather in Buckley's cap that he stayed.
His development should be a positive for us in 2018 and 2019.
Happy with this outcome.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

This is very good news, I can see him kicking a few bags next year
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Killbot

Post by Killbot »

Albert Parker wrote:Another feather in Buckley's cap that he stayed
Peter Dutton may have more to do with it

Due to visa restrictions he would've lost his current PR eligibility credits if he changed clubs