#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »

Pay the man!
E

Post by E »

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Big T »

Buon Giorno
droversdog65

Post by droversdog65 »

Some people love arguing the opposing point, never fails.

No argument in this case.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Pies2016 wrote:Strip it all back and the reality is that if he stays, it's at least one less hole that we would need to fill.
He can play in the ruck and he can go forward and provide a genuine tall marking option.
It's safe to assume he will continue to improve. He would be a better forward prospect again if / when we start to move the ball quicker and also a better ruck option if they eliminate the bounce down.
I can't see him getting any worse and I see him being a valuable and versatile part of our list in the future. No wonder there is interest from other clubs.
That would be at least 2 less holes to fill.Tall marking forward and Ruckman.Another pre season and this blokes going to break out.It needs to be with us.
glasseyevfx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by glasseyevfx »

E wrote: yes, you are very old fashioned. We did develop him, but the kid has a right to earn a living. Careers are short. his is even shorter because of his age. He has to convert everything he earns back to USd.

give the kid a break. this is a business. We would of axed him if he wasnt good enough. he has the right to make what he can.

If we were truly loyal to him, we would pay whatever he is worth (i.e., what others would pay for him).

Isn't it a total lack of loyalty on Collingwood's part to go cheap on him and not pay him what others are prepared to pay him??????
'This is a business' - thats where we disagree - its a lifestyle and calling too. We won the contract with mason as we offered the best deal to start with. And thats fair enough when he has no loyalties to juggle. I'm not saying that he should not be paid what he is worth but after investment and training I would hope that Collingwood would have fertilized some loyalty. I run a business and there is nothing worse than seeing someone you have invested time and effort into walking away. Loyalty counts.
If he goes, I wouldn't be happy - either that the pies didn't offer something realistic or that Mason snubbed his nose - either way.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
droversdog65

Post by droversdog65 »

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I read the Foundation Trilogy.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

HANDS OFF COX!!

The older members of Nicks will remember this slogan being used previously by the Saints.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

EXCLUSIVE: American Pie Mason Cox has offers from rival clubs, but moving may be difficult due to an immigration curveball @Stevo7AFL #7News https://t.co/ehaHrLJfMB
All We Can Be
Crimson Mask

Post by Crimson Mask »

Any other club would have utilised this bloke in such a way as to maximise his considerable attributes such that he became a point of difference and a weapon.

The numbskulls in our coaching box and on the selection committee, being devoid of imagination but full of intransigence, were unable to fashion such a strategy with Cox, often scapegoating him for our losses.

We deserve to lose him as we never appreciated exactly what we have/had until it was too late.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Crimson Mask wrote:Any other club would have utilised this bloke in such a way as to maximise his considerable attributes such that he became a point of difference and a weapon.

The numbskulls in our coaching box and on the selection committee, being devoid of imagination but full of intransigence, were unable to fashion such a strategy with Cox, often scapegoating him for our losses.

We deserve to lose him as we never appreciated exactly what we have/had until it was too late.
You're a tool and you'll realise that tomorrow maybe.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
droversdog65

Post by droversdog65 »

Damien wrote:
Crimson Mask wrote:Any other club would have utilised this bloke in such a way as to maximise his considerable attributes such that he became a point of difference and a weapon.

You're a tool and you'll realise that tomorrow maybe.
Tool is right, he hasn't shown enough except for the last few weeks.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

He's turning 27 with the experience of a 21-22 year old. Still learning and won't reach his peak till almost 30, then it's decline from there. He's handy to have but even with best case development he wouldn't be a big loss. Worst case development and he'd hurt us next year rather than help as we waste more time trying to make the Grundy/Cox pairing work.

It looks to me like he's leaving or at least strongly considering it. It's a shame if we lose him just as he looks to have learnt to mark, mostly, but it doesn't have much of an impact on our future.
Well done boys!