#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Given the sporting culture in which Mason grew up, its probably fair to say that he would not see moving to another "franchise" for increased "game time" as a particularly big deal.

He may not understand (or care about) the degree of loyalty we more commonly expect in Aussie Rules.

On another point, can we upgrade him to the senior list and remove the "free agency for long-term rookies" consideration?
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What is on another point can we upgrade him to the senior list and remove the free agency for long-term rookies consideration like on another point can we upgrade him to the senior list and remove the free agency for long-term rookies consideration.
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Given the sporting culture in which Mason grew up, its probably fair to say that he would not see moving to another "franchise" for increased "game time" as a particularly big deal.

He may not understand (or care about) the degree of loyalty we more commonly expect in Aussie Rules.

On another point, can we upgrade him to the senior list and remove the "free agency for long-term rookies" consideration?
If we offer him a senior contract ( I assume that we have) then he won't be an FA, but Bris have pick 1 in PSD.
All We Can Be
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I posted a couple months ago we were interested in looking at Michael Close.
Close did a ACL missed 2016 and came back this season really so like all players coming off a ACL he won't be at his best in 2017.
He's a interesting case has played both forward and back but appears more suited to maybe CHB role.
This would mean we can use Reid at FF or conversely did Buckley show his hand in the last game starting Grundy at FF Moore at CHF (remember we appear at long odds to get Lever who's rice would have just risen after being named in the AA side)
Stefan Martin appears to be outside there age profile there going for.
He's a better than average ruck and has decent mobility which suits our style of play.
It might be a case of Martin Close to magpies Cox and our 3rd round pick to Lions and we retain our 1st round pick to go after a KPP for the future.

Our forward line is likely the biggest gap needing filling.
I ask this question can Pendles slot into a forward role along with Moore Elliott Sidey/Wells Reid/Grundy Faz/WHE ?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

It should be a source of more than a little concern that everyone seems to want to get out of Brisbane, except for apparently-required Colingwood players, some of whom want to go there.

On the specific subject of Cox, Buckley made it plain when he dealt Dawes to Melbourne that he is not interested in playing two permanent KPFs. He wants to play one permanent KPF and one KPF who is second-ruck. He has tried and discarded a number of players who couldn't do both. That's why we let Witts (who is twice the footballer Cox will ever be) go to GCS. Presumably, any offer made to Cox would reflect Buckley's view of the potential for Cox to play full-forward and second-ruck in the seniors. Presumably, that is why we were looking at Kreuzer last year. Cox may well be able to play full-forward/second-ruck in someone else's structure but he's not going to be guaranteed a senior spot in Buckley's structure, so it comes down to whether someone else wants to pay him as a first-22 player and persuade him that he is a likely first-choice player at their club.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

AN_Inkling wrote:^^Is that what we want? What's wrong with having a backup ruck? Playing two rucks is difficult and won't work in all situations.

I see nothing wrong with playing Grundy and having Moore assist.

Losing Cox isn't ideal but it's still unknown whether he's going to work with Grundy over the long term or even be a valuable AFL player. If he leaves, at worst we need to find a backup ruck. That's not so difficult and not a great issue for us.
Mate. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but what you say doesn't work. Look at our wins and losses to prove my point. Moore is needed all over the field for his run and carry. Playing him in the ruck is a waste and a detriment to the side. Look at the rest of the teams. Most play two ruckman on the field. Players aren't recruited onto AFL lists to play VFL football and back up ruck in case the leading ruckman falls over. If we recruit a ruckman to play VFL football and back up ruckman to Grundy, that player will hang around a year or two and then leave. Look at Cox for proof of what I'm saying. He just wants to play AFL. Who can blame him for wanting to leave.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I think if we let Cox it will just prove to me that Collingwood,with all the hoopla about a review, have learnt not a thing.We have a back up or second ruckman whose "Ruck work is superior to most running around and is starting to grasp the basics of the game and is a far superior ruck and player to Witts. Now we have people saying "let him go" and then we can find another spud or another Jesse White to fill the void.There are plenty of teams that have 2 ruckman and unless we have a target on someone who can actually play the game "As A Ruckman" then we must keep Cox who is improving on a weekly basis and his last games proved it. Wh have someone now and WHY go out and look for anyone else??It just doesn't make sense or maybe it is just more of the same!!
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Pies4shaw wrote:It should be a source of more than a little concern that everyone seems to want to get out of Brisbane, except for apparently-required Colingwood players, some of whom want to go there.

On the specific subject of Cox, Buckley made it plain when he dealt Dawes to Melbourne that he is not interested in playing two permanent KPFs. He wants to play one permanent KPF and one KPF who is second-ruck. He has tried and discarded a number of players who couldn't do both. That's why we let Witts (who is twice the footballer Cox will ever be) go to GCS. Presumably, any offer made to Cox would reflect Buckley's view of the potential for Cox to play full-forward and second-ruck in the seniors. Presumably, that is why we were looking at Kreuzer last year. Cox may well be able to play full-forward/second-ruck in someone else's structure but he's not going to be guaranteed a senior spot in Buckley's structure, so it comes down to whether someone else wants to pay him as a first-22 player and persuade him that he is a likely first-choice player at their club.
Hopefully Buckley's statement that he now realises that he has to start "Listening" and heeding advice has superseded his stance that saw Dawes leave. He'll probably want to get another midget or another Jesse White .It just doesn't make sense to let Cox go. He is just starting to bloom and another full pre season is going to see him a far better prospect than he was this year and I certainly didn't see any down side to him when Grundy was out.His ruck work put him in the votes 2 weeks in a row.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I don't disagree, Mudlark. I'm just stating what I expect to be the position, based on the last 5 years of trading and recruitment. It isn't a position I support.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I'm hearing you P4S .My observation is centred on the presser announcing Bucks for another 2 years where he stated "YES" I need to listen and heed advice from others. I think it's pretty well established he wanted it "My way or the Highway" and it's been a clear failure but with some hope as the Club has obviously seen so I'd say a compromise was reached in that Buckley can't get rid of players that don't fit his demographic and that he is probably the one who needs to give a bit of ground on listening to others and be a bit more of a team player.On the basis I'm hoping his "One Ruckman" stance is to now be ignored and we start giving equal game time to Grundy and Cox as Ruck/FF/Forward pocket types.The only think I can see coming from this is more Collingwood goals from the tall timber resting forward rather than watching them cooling their heels on the pine.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Bucks tweeted this today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benno
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Benno »

Cya Mason. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Goodbye.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Bucks tweeted this today
I hope he was telling Coxy that he is absolutely a required player who is in our best 22
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »