#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Damien wrote:Pay this guy what the market demands. So much upside. If we lose Coxy we will regret it big time. The sky is the limit for this guy. 7ft dudes which so much natural ability who can play ruck and forward don't grow on trees
Isn't he from the big apple :P
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ Only if Texas has that nickname.
Two more flags before I die!
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

Have we established that we actually have the ability to TRADE Cox?

Is he not available for restricted free agency based on his age or the fact he was an international rookie?

If this is the case, he could walk and we only secure compensation the AFL delegates us.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Dr Pie wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
We played no-one in preference to Cox (i.e. Moore was our sole tall forward for about eight games) and then we played Reid as a forward in preference to Cox. It is much easier to justify the inclusion of Blair as a chosen small forward than to justify the exclusion of Mason Cox as a tall forward when we desperately needed one.
No it's not. The final game proved that Grundy and Cox can play together in the same team. Grundy or Cox provided the height in the forward line we had been lacking all season. Earlier in the season we played Blair, Fasolo and Elliot in the forward line and the ball kept coming back the other end because we had no marking power in the forward line. Any analysis you care to give bangs your theory that a forward line full of smalls kicks a winning score.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Rumour is Brisbane is interested in Mason
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

All We Can Be
Culprit
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

Waldron has now come out and stated that Stefan Martin wants to come home. Straight Swap.
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

Culprit wrote:Waldron has now come out and stated that Stefan Martin wants to come home. Straight Swap.
Martin is 30, but has runs o the board: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... fan-martin

If Cox wants out, we could do worse.
All We Can Be
MatthewBoydFanClub

MightyMagpie wrote:
Culprit wrote:Waldron has now come out and stated that Stefan Martin wants to come home. Straight Swap.
Martin is 30, but has runs o the board: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... fan-martin

Well it took two years before we succeeded in playing Grundy and Cox in the same side together (against Melbourne). If we get Martin, are we going to wait until Martin is 34 yo before he gets to take the same field as Grundy?
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

MightyMagpie wrote:

Well it took two years before we succeeded in playing Grundy and Cox in the same side together (against Melbourne). If we get Martin, are we going to wait until Martin is 34 yo before he gets to take the same field as Grundy?
Martin can't play as a forward. He is the no.1 ruck or he's not in the team. Pass.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by stui magpie »

Member 7167 wrote:
We played no-one in preference to Cox (i.e. Moore was our sole tall forward for about eight games) and then we played Reid as a forward in preference to Cox. It is much easier to justify the inclusion of Blair as a chosen small forward than to justify the exclusion of Mason Cox as a tall forward when we desperately needed one.
No it's not. The final game proved that Grundy and Cox can play together in the same team. Grundy or Cox provided the height in the forward line we had been lacking all season. Earlier in the season we played Blair, Fasolo and Elliot in the forward line and the ball kept coming back the other end because we had no marking power in the forward line. Any analysis you care to give bangs your theory that a forward line full of smalls kicks a winning score.
Coff, Richmond 2017. :P

having said that, we need to keep cox and a straight swap for Stef martin (as proposed in other posts) is ridiculous.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

stui magpie wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Coff, Richmond 2017. :P

having said that, we need to keep cox and a straight swap for Stef martin (as proposed in other posts) is ridiculous.
Brisbane have pick 1 in the PSD. IF Cox nominates Bris, then what do you expect to get in return?

Martin may not be the ideal Ruck/Fwd (happy to concede that), but if Cox goes then at the very least we need a backup ruck unless we are going to rely on Moore as that. Martin is 30, has said he wants to return to Melb I understand and, therefore, may not have huge currency (I could well be wrong about that).

Unless others at Bris go on record as wanting out, I can't see us getting much in return as Cox would likely be the best available in the PSD.
All We Can Be
MatthewBoydFanClub

We don't want a back up ruck playing VFL footy until Grundy gets hurts or suspended, before our back up ruck gets a game in the AFL. We want a ruck who can rotate with Grundy and score goals in the forward line when he's not contesting in the middle. So Martin, no thanks.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^Is that what we want? What's wrong with having a backup ruck? Playing two rucks is difficult and won't work in all situations.

I see nothing wrong with playing Grundy and having Moore assist.

Losing Cox isn't ideal but it's still unknown whether he's going to work with Grundy over the long term or even be a valuable AFL player. If he leaves, at worst we need to find a backup ruck. That's not so difficult and not a great issue for us.
Well done boys!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

AN_Inkling wrote:^^Is that what we want? What's wrong with having a backup ruck? Playing two rucks is difficult and won't work in all situations.

I see nothing wrong with playing Grundy and having Moore assist.

Losing Cox isn't ideal but it's still unknown whether he's going to work with Grundy over the long term or even be a valuable AFL player. If he leaves, at worst we need to find a backup ruck. That's not so difficult and not a great issue for us.
Up until 3 weeks ago I would have agreed with you inky. However, Cox really stood up in the first ruck while Grundy was unavailable, and they worked wonderfully together in the final round. For the record, round 23 was the first time ever our forward line had just 2 talls including Cox. Earlier in the year it was too top heavy because we were playing White and Moore alongside Cox. Of course there is no guarantee that Cox and Grundy will work well together next year, but there is strong evidence to suggest it would. After investing 3 years into teaching Cox how to play our game, it would be a major loss if he was to go elsewhere now.