#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

Have people seen the quotes from yesterday?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/club/play ... /4040.html
All We Can Be
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

I personally cannot see him leaving. Cox, the team and the game plan are all developing and I think that Cox is an integral part of our future plans. He will be wearing the Black & White next season
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Tannin wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:I am really pissed off that it took until Round 23 for Bucks to try something like this. Imagine what could have happened if he had the balls to go with something like this in Round 6 or 7.
I've been a big Cox fan since forever, but no, this is not so. Two things needed to fall into place before using Cox as he was used this week became practical:

(1) Cox needed more time to learn the game.

(2) The remainder of our side needed to get better at getting the pill forward in a productive way.

Both of these factors still need work. There is a lot of improvement yet to come. But we have come far enough this year that we are starting to see the benefits of the big man in is proper role: 50/50 forward and ruck.

Notice that both Cox and Grundy (especially Grundy) are starting to take more grabs around the ground. This is something ruckmen must do plenty of if they are to be really useful players. Not just when playing forward either: a ruckman who can run back and take a goal-saving pack mark in the defensive goal square is a gem.
Good post, Tannin.

Ruckman who can go forward or a full forward who can pinch hit in the ruck are like gold. We almost have the perfect combination between the both of them.
I too, get the feeling that Cox ( read his manager ) are looking for alternatives.
Cox has a short window to maximise his earnings as a footballer and it's a managers job to maximise his potential earnings. He is the type of player you would consider paying over the odds for because he is a bit unique.
I'm just a tad nervous about this one.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

MightyMagpie wrote:Have people seen the quotes from yesterday?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/club/play ... /4040.html
quoted above in the Age link
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Fair enough that his manager will get him the best deal possible. I think we all see him as a project player but the reality is that he's shown enough to be a valuable commodity so fair enough he's entitle to command what the market will pay. I will spew if he leaves and think we should pay him what it Costs to retain his services. Only gunna get better.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Rapt in the huge unit Yankee, has been terrific lately, hes learning the caper now for sure. Just remember, Lou Richards always said, that big men take time to develop, to reach potential, and he was spot on then, and is still spot on. Coxy will tear it up next season, put a bit of weight on him,and look out, Oppostion rucks and backs. LOL
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
i hate carlton
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by i hate carlton »

We need this bloke in our forward line, he is a machine.

Mark my words - when we get our next flag he will be there on the day.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Let's hope all this talk of leaving is just posturing by his manager, so that he can get the best contract for him when he re-signs with us.

He seems happy at our club, we've put a lot of work into supporting his development, and given him a fair amount of opportunities to play in the senior team. It's just not right that he would leave.

If he does leave, it follows that his football journey is/was all about money. That would be a sad reflection on the afl system and where it's heading to, and also the individual himself. I hazard to guess that it may also have something to do with the Yanks' sporting culture being bereft of any player club-loyalty.
Same goes for soccer in leagues like EPL. It's why I have no interest in that sport.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

While I may agree with you about club loyalty etc, we'd do well to Pay him what the market demands. He's going to be worth more than that.
Two more flags before I die!
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

If he leaves he'll find out what its like to be out of the Collingwood circle of trust.
Get back on top.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Funny to see people who said he should never play for Collingwood again a few weeks ago suddenly saying we must keep him...

Its yet another of Buckleys failures that Cox was spending so much time in the VFL whilst we struggled for KPFs...
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

eddiesmith wrote:Funny to see people who said he should never play for Collingwood again a few weeks ago suddenly saying we must keep him...

Its yet another of Buckleys failures that Cox was spending so much time in the VFL whilst we struggled for KPFs...
Or it's a measure of Buckley's nous that he dropped him back to the reserves so he could build confidence, fitness, and skills.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
burnsy17
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by burnsy17 »

Off to Brissy according to SEN
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Culprit
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

burnsy17 wrote:Off to Brissy according to SEN