#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Let's be clear people. This guy is way more than a depth player. Already a top flight tap ruckman and rarely plays a game where he doesn't kick two goals. The sky is the limit with his upside and improvement. If we lose this guy we will pay big time. Offer him what he's worth contract wise because every other club would take him in a heartbeat.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I believe that the sky is blue.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ absolutely, and I think he will surpass Grundy, in time, to f he has not already. That is a mark of how good I think he is going to be, no disrespect to Grundy. The last two games have been as good as any ruckman going around.
Two more flags before I die!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

watt price tully wrote:Cox declining to commit at this point in time leaving it to his agent:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... y54xx.html
Those quotes do not sound encouraging. Reckon he has had a taste of $400,000+ for the last three years and he isn't that excited by a wage drop. What was encouraging for him about yesterday was the Ruck split with Grundy was 50:50 and as such he got into the game faster and was more effective!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Liked that we split the ruck 50:50. It's the only way Cox and Grundy can play together. I've always liked positional movements even when we're on top, keeps giving the opposition a different look. As long as the players being switched are all capable of course.

The other one that looked good was Moore moving between defence and forward. If we have those three talls all rotating, it's some nice flexibility. Moore's pace, ability to jump, decision making and ball use all point to an almost certain AA defender (a bigger Howe). Playing forward is tougher, but think he'll still spend most of his time there given we don't have many other options.
Well done boys!
Doc63

Post by Doc63 »

Greg Denham said on SEN this morning that he expects Cox to be at another club next season.

This would be a huge loss in my opinion. I think that most weeks, both Grundy & Cox can play in the same side. And what happens if Grundy gets injured?

Also, Grundy has signed a 3 year deal, which will take him to restricted free agency, I think. We will need Cox if the unthinkable happens and Grundy leaves.
I hold a cup of wisdom, but there is nothing within.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Doc63 wrote:Greg Denham said on SEN this morning that he expects Cox to be at another club next season.

This would be a huge loss in my opinion. I think that most weeks, both Grundy & Cox can play in the same side. And what happens if Grundy gets injured?

Also, Grundy has signed a 3 year deal, which will take him to restricted free agency, I think. We will need Cox if the unthinkable happens and Grundy leaves.
I got the feeling his manager was arranging a deal elsewhere too. I think the problem was that Cox really only began to demonstrate his worth in the last 3 weeks, and prior to that maybe Collingwood was hesitant to offer him much of a deal. Right now, I'd say his services are vital for our success next year.
lihei
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

He Can **** off. Tall streak of pelican shit.
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I liked a lot of the moves Buckley did on Saturday. Grundy working forward more often and as said the ruck being split 50:50.

Moore in defence and WHE on the wing and Maynard out of the backline and up the ground (FFS us so called keyboard warriors have been calling for this one since the middle of the year).

I wasn't sold on cox but maybe that is the coaching staff fault about the way he was being used. It definitely showed on Saturday that it can work with both Cox and Grundy in the same team splitting roles and having Moore roam.

I am really pissed off that it took until Round 23 for Bucks to try something like this. Imagine what could have happened if he had the balls to go with something like this in Round 6 or 7.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

lihei wrote:He Can **** off. Tall streak of pelican shit.
:lol: Haven't heard that one for ages!

It would be a shame to see him leave, he's just starting to show what he can do.
While he did win a lot of the ruck contests, not too many were to advantage.
He is going to be a gun IMO, hope he stays.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I reckon he would be a huge loss. he's getting better every year. His development is second to none and none is getting pissed off.

The structure of Cox, Grundy & Moore should be persisted with. It was great to watch.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Johnno75 wrote:I am really pissed off that it took until Round 23 for Bucks to try something like this. Imagine what could have happened if he had the balls to go with something like this in Round 6 or 7.
I've been a big Cox fan since forever, but no, this is not so. Two things needed to fall into place before using Cox as he was used this week became practical:

(1) Cox needed more time to learn the game.

(2) The remainder of our side needed to get better at getting the pill forward in a productive way.

Both of these factors still need work. There is a lot of improvement yet to come. But we have come far enough this year that we are starting to see the benefits of the big man in is proper role: 50/50 forward and ruck.

Notice that both Cox and Grundy (especially Grundy) are starting to take more grabs around the ground. This is something ruckmen must do plenty of if they are to be really useful players. Not just when playing forward either: a ruckman who can run back and take a goal-saving pack mark in the defensive goal square is a gem.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Invigoration

Post by Invigoration »

Considering our lack of alternate options I'd be very surprised if we let him go. He's not as important or valuable as some are making out in here though, most wouldn't have batted an eyelid if the season ended a month ago and he was delisted.
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

Tannin wrote:Notice that both Cox and Grundy (especially Grundy) are starting to take more grabs around the ground. This is something ruckmen must do plenty of if they are to be really useful players. Not just when playing forward either: a ruckman who can run back and take a goal-saving pack mark in the defensive goal square is a gem.
Not enough has been made of this fact.

As you'd expect, we look a lot less lumbering when we catch the thing instead of letting it spill to oppo sweepers And if those tall fellas get the reputation for being able to clunk them up forward, then defenders will tend to panic more when defending them.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

C'mon Sharni - get him signed up pronto
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better