#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:This is a little away from the original post but with Grundy now officially re-signed apparently the Hawks and tigers are sniffing around Cox (pun not intended)
I've read over the rules as I see them and he would be a restricted free a agent as I understand it.
He was pick 60 in the rookie draft but we have put loads of time and effort into him so we should reap some sort of dividend back
I understand we have made him a offer (length and size I'm unsure of) but he's manager has been sounded out by other clubs.
Firstly isn't there a rule about getting permission from a club before talking to restricted free agents (unless the player formally requests a trade) ?
His leaving and going to another club would be near unprecedented (other than Hanley) I can't remember a similar situation (meaning international rookie making a senior list then being traded or requesting a trade)
Hanley cost the Suns pick 14 by memory and I understand he had far more experience and had proven himself at AFL level for a few seasons but 7fters don't grow on trees and especially ones who can mark and kick goals and play as a ruckman
If we are to lose him I want us to be very generously compensated for the time we have spent developing him.
So we actually hold the whip handle here as I see it so if he wants to go to a club to be first ruck then I want to see us get a second rounder for him at a minimum
If he is a restricted free agent all we have to do is match the highest offer and he stays. That is my understanding of the situation.

The big question is, "is he a restricted agent?"
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

RudeBoy wrote:
Given his phenomenal height and his lack of injuries, he could easily play for another 6 or 7 years, so I think it's important we keep him.
Yep, keep him, keep him! He's come a long way this year.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

Played bloody well today and teamed with Grundy against gawn beautifully.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Must keep. His deft taps and smart knock ons oozes sports smarts.

A keeper.
Est. 2002
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Absolutely no question. Must keep him, whatever the price.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

I just love him. $17 for first goal of the last qtr and love him even more. Who says we can't have him and Grundy in the team together. Both weapons.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Damien wrote:I just love him. $17 for first goal of the last qtr and love him even more. Who says we can't have him and Grundy in the team together. Both weapons.
exactly. We must let him know, and the world know, that he is no longer considered a "back up". He is in our Top 22.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Member 7167 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:This is a little away from the original post but with Grundy now officially re-signed apparently the Hawks and tigers are sniffing around Cox (pun not intended)
I've read over the rules as I see them and he would be a restricted free a agent as I understand it.
He was pick 60 in the rookie draft but we have put loads of time and effort into him so we should reap some sort of dividend back
I understand we have made him a offer (length and size I'm unsure of) but he's manager has been sounded out by other clubs.
Firstly isn't there a rule about getting permission from a club before talking to restricted free agents (unless the player formally requests a trade) ?
His leaving and going to another club would be near unprecedented (other than Hanley) I can't remember a similar situation (meaning international rookie making a senior list then being traded or requesting a trade)
Hanley cost the Suns pick 14 by memory and I understand he had far more experience and had proven himself at AFL level for a few seasons but 7fters don't grow on trees and especially ones who can mark and kick goals and play as a ruckman
If we are to lose him I want us to be very generously compensated for the time we have spent developing him.
So we actually hold the whip handle here as I see it so if he wants to go to a club to be first ruck then I want to see us get a second rounder for him at a minimum
If he is a restricted free agent all we have to do is match the highest offer and he stays. That is my understanding of the situation.

The big question is, "is he a restricted agent?"
I would imagine he is just out of contract and nothing more.
I don't see how he has been in the system long enough to warrant free agency status.
Not that we want him going anywhere but if he should go elsewhere, I imagine it's just for your typical garden variety trade.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kymbo5@yahoo.com.au »

Agree Magpietothemax - He is in our best 22 unless it is a day where it is pouring with rain. Not sure he is suited to that. Not so many wet games these days tho, especially with Docklands in the mix.
kymbo
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Finished the season well and I'd like us to keep him.

My guess is he'll stay. There aren't too many teams where he'd be a definite first team player, certainly not the Hawks (McEvoy) or Tigers (Nankervis).

He's played 20 games for us in the last two years. That's a decent amount and he's a definite chance to play more next year.
Well done boys!
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

He really gives us something. Negated Gawn beautifully (who has beaten Grundy soundly in the past) in the ruck and gave us a target up forward. Could have kicked more goals too.
A really promising end to the season. You can see his confidence build as he clunks some marks.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

RudeBoy wrote:
ad4eva wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:Must retain at all costs. Make sure we better any other offer. There is no knowing how good he will be, and we desperately need a tall anyway.
I tend to disagree. Its not like this bloke has another 10 years in the system - he will be 27 come round 1 next year. The next 2-3 years will be his best but I wouldn't be paying overs to keep him.

Certainly a keeper, his development has been outstanding but the reality is up until now we consider him a back up for Grundy in the ruck and he hasn't been able to cement his place as a permanent key forward.
Given his phenomenal height and his lack of injuries, he could easily play for another 6 or 7 years, so I think it's important we keep him.
Agreed he's a required player, just not at all costs.

But wow what a month of footy from the big man. He was near the most dangerous pair of hands on the ground today. He has certainly grown in confidence and skill from even 12 weeks ago.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Cox declining to commit at this point in time leaving it to his agent:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... y54xx.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
holdencaulfield

Post by holdencaulfield »

We need to keep Cox.
He has dramatically improved this year.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Hopefully he stays as he should continue to develop and at the very least is very good ruck depth.

If he decides to leave we're going to have to scrounge a suitable backup for Grundy from somewhere as Lynch certainly isn't that at present and may never be.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!