#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Two
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Remember what Colonel Trautman said about Rambo back in 1982 ?

" I recruited him. I trained him. I commanded him for three years in Vietnam. I'd say that makes him mine. "

Give Mason another couple of years to improve even more ,seeing as we went to the trouble to get him to the club, taught him about footy ,trained him and made a new home for him.

I have said this before. He`s the X factor at the club. His mind works different to other footballers. He`s a thinker and has good awareness.

I reckon he has a place in the team and we could run 2 ruckman .
Brodie is grouse and the pair of them could share the ruck role. You can`t be the ruckman at every contest ,can you ?

Give him more game time and see how good he gets.

Don`t let him go.Bugger any other club getting him.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

RudeBoy wrote:
ad4eva wrote:Lets say Cox decides to leave to another club on an average salary ($350k per year) over the course of 3 years. What happens with us seeing as he is an international rookie?

Do we get compensation as a restricted free agent?

Are we in a position to trade him ourselves?
Today's paper reported that he has a Collingwood contract offer of around $650,000 pa. If that's true, then he aint going to anyone else for a lousy $350,000 pa.
Rudey, which paper claimed that?! That's in the ballpark of Grundy's reported offer, so I'm wondering if someone got things mixed up.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
ad4eva wrote:Lets say Cox decides to leave to another club on an average salary ($350k per year) over the course of 3 years. What happens with us seeing as he is an international rookie?

Do we get compensation as a restricted free agent?

Are we in a position to trade him ourselves?
Today's paper reported that he has a Collingwood contract offer of around $650,000 pa. If that's true, then he aint going to anyone else for a lousy $350,000 pa.
Rudey, which paper claimed that?! That's in the ballpark of Grundy's reported offer, so I'm wondering if someone got things mixed up.
Pretty sure it was in the little paper, alongside a large photo of Cox taking a mark. Of course it's entirely possible I misread it, as I only ever skim read that rag.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote: Today's paper reported that he has a Collingwood contract offer of around $650,000 pa. If that's true, then he aint going to anyone else for a lousy $350,000 pa.
Pretty sure it was in the little paper, alongside a large photo of Cox taking a mark. Of course it's entirely possible I misread it, as I only ever skim read that rag.
Think you misread it. The herald Sun is reporting Grundy has signed for $625K per year, no mention of Cox dollars. I can't see anything in the Aged, which I assume you mean when you refer to as the little paper as it's about 14 pages these days and 9 of those are ads. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

The Texan may not be as good as Grundy, Gawn or Sandilands but he is still pretty good and he is 211cm tall. We would be nuts to trade him. I agree with others who see him as a forward and relief ruckman. You may have noticed that Adelaide, who have been top of the ladder for weeks, play three tall forwards. For about half the season we played ONE tall forward, and sometimes none at all when Darcy went into the ruck to give Brodie a break. I am not saying that that is the only reason we are twelve positions below the Crows on the ladder but it didn't help.

Renew Cox's contract NOW.
Born and raised in Black and White
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote: Rudey, which paper claimed that?! That's in the ballpark of Grundy's reported offer, so I'm wondering if someone got things mixed up.
Think you misread it. The herald Sun is reporting Grundy has signed for $625K per year, no mention of Cox dollars. I can't see anything in the Aged, which I assume you mean when you refer to as the little paper as it's about 14 pages these days and 9 of those are ads. :wink:
Thanks Stui. I obviously misread it in the Hun. Another dementia moment I guess. :oops:
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Massive upside. Required player. We'd be nuts to let him walk.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Retain. Keeps improving, is a unique proposition and we have a shortage of tall forwards and especially rucks on our list
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

This is a little away from the original post but with Grundy now officially re-signed apparently the Hawks and tigers are sniffing around Cox (pun not intended)
I've read over the rules as I see them and he would be a restricted free a agent as I understand it.
He was pick 60 in the rookie draft but we have put loads of time and effort into him so we should reap some sort of dividend back
I understand we have made him a offer (length and size I'm unsure of) but he's manager has been sounded out by other clubs.
Firstly isn't there a rule about getting permission from a club before talking to restricted free agents (unless the player formally requests a trade) ?
His leaving and going to another club would be near unprecedented (other than Hanley) I can't remember a similar situation (meaning international rookie making a senior list then being traded or requesting a trade)
Hanley cost the Suns pick 14 by memory and I understand he had far more experience and had proven himself at AFL level for a few seasons but 7fters don't grow on trees and especially ones who can mark and kick goals and play as a ruckman
If we are to lose him I want us to be very generously compensated for the time we have spent developing him.
So we actually hold the whip handle here as I see it so if he wants to go to a club to be first ruck then I want to see us get a second rounder for him at a minimum
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Must retain at all costs. Make sure we better any other offer. There is no knowing how good he will be, and we desperately need a tall anyway.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

When Cox was dropped from the seniors earlier in the season, it was because our forward line looked too tall and slow. We immediately looked better without Cox. However, it's easy to forget that we had been playing not 2 but 3 talls in Cox, Moore and White. Having just 2 talls in Moore and Cox might just be the way to go for next year, alongside medium/smalls like Elliott, Kirby, Daicos and Pendles/De Goey.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

Magpietothemax wrote:Must retain at all costs. Make sure we better any other offer. There is no knowing how good he will be, and we desperately need a tall anyway.
I tend to disagree. Its not like this bloke has another 10 years in the system - he will be 27 come round 1 next year. The next 2-3 years will be his best but I wouldn't be paying overs to keep him.

Certainly a keeper, his development has been outstanding but the reality is up until now we consider him a back up for Grundy in the ruck and he hasn't been able to cement his place as a permanent key forward.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

ad4eva wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:Must retain at all costs. Make sure we better any other offer. There is no knowing how good he will be, and we desperately need a tall anyway.
I tend to disagree. Its not like this bloke has another 10 years in the system - he will be 27 come round 1 next year. The next 2-3 years will be his best but I wouldn't be paying overs to keep him.

Certainly a keeper, his development has been outstanding but the reality is up until now we consider him a back up for Grundy in the ruck and he hasn't been able to cement his place as a permanent key forward.
Given his phenomenal height and his lack of injuries, he could easily play for another 6 or 7 years, so I think it's important we keep him.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

RudeBoy wrote:
ad4eva wrote:

Given his phenomenal height and his lack of injuries, he could easily play for another 6 or 7 years, so I think it's important we keep him.

Simon Madden has already said that Mason will go past him next year .
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators