#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Leggie wrote:He wont go anywhere
IF he wants to play AFL I reckon he could Leave.

He is a Ruckman and he won't be getting games ahead of Grundy
I am Da Man
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

He's probably not an AFL first ruckman anywhere, though, is he?
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

A definite keeper. Progressing nicely.

Go the Pies!
i hate carlton
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by i hate carlton »

Well we ruined Josh Fraser by rucking him alone. We need to rotate the ruckman.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Mugwump

Mason Cox (it's official, 3 more years!)

Post by Mugwump »

Sorry if there is another thread on him already but I could not find one, and anyway the point is new. That was an outstanding game today from the big man, and I think there is every chance that he will surpass Grundy, in time. His overhead marking and contests are really starting to connect and they will only get better, and as he and the mids gain understanding he will become a real weapon. Surely Grundy can move forward and learn to become the damaging CHF we need, releasing Reid to complete a strong spine ????.
Two more flags before I die!
Adam Treloar 3 Votes

Post by Adam Treloar 3 Votes »

I was disappointed in his earlier games this year having played some really good games last year. His last two games have been good and he is a regular goal kicker which is a huge plus.
People forget that our last premiership was only 2010 and rebuilds take some time. 2018 we play finals again.
Donny
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Donny »

The Grundy suspension has turned out to be a Godsend.

Most impressed with Mason's smarts, in previous matches, around the grounded ball, but he was missing marks he should've been taking.

He turned that around, today. Excellent effort. :)
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
melliot

Post by melliot »

Like Witts and Grundy. Now Cox and Grundy are 2 x 1st rucks. They will both excel in that position. But. There is only one ruck position in an AFL team.

Very few teams play two genuine rucks. Hell, some were/are playing with none.

To play both, one or both must add a different string to their bow. Mason could be a forward, but lacks the footy smarts to often. Grundy has shown less as a forward.

But congrats to Cox. He did play a good game.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

I thought the long tall Texan played an excellent game today. He won't replace Grundy as first ruck - nor should he. The club should play him as a full forward and second ruck. Moore should play as centre half forward and Reid should return to playing at full back or centre half back. Despite his occasional bag of three or four goals Reid plays his best football in defence. And we desperately need some tall key position defenders. Dunn is 192cm, Goldsack 193cm and Langdon 190cm. IF we had a couple of really tall blokes on the backline we probably would have beaten Geelong today and Adelaide two weeks ago. Hopefully next year McLarty will be ready for the Ones or perhaps we could trade for Lever. But we need more tall key position players at both ends and Mason at least fills one of the gaps.
Born and raised in Black and White
Jezza
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Jezza »

I think in the long-term, Grundy will be our number one ruckman but there's no doubt that we need to continue to persist with Cox.

The upside is enormous. I know that some have questioned whether he'll make it, but he's a player that could prove to be highly valuable if we continue developing him.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

He will become a good player.
it will just take time and a whisper in his ear about going up with 2 hands.
glasseyevfx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by glasseyevfx »

horray - I thought I was the only one who like him in the side! Great to hear support. I think he brings in real contest, works hard at whatever task he is set. Right now I think he is more of a presence than Moore or Reid in the forward line (although only just). If Elliot or even Blair can tap his work overhead then I think our forward line will be very effective. With Grundy back in I hope we send Reid back, Cox forward and rest Dunn (only because it would be good for him as an older player).
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

People keep talking of him as a forward but in truth I think he's a potential Brownlow winning ruckman. He'll probably be better than Grundy in time. So can Grundy become a key forward ? That is the question....
Two more flags before I die!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I like to cut to the chase.
sixpoints

Post by sixpoints »

Have a look at who are doing well as ruckman around the league.....Jacobs at Adelaide, Ryder at Port, Martin at Brisbane, McEvoy at Hawthorn, Nankervis at Richmond.
That may not all be stars, but all of them were traded away (well maybe not Ryder), but my point is that are now all playing really solid footy as ruckman and all took years to really hit their best form.
Ruckman take time.
Cox is absolutely showing signs. It was unequivocal yesterday. He clunked those marks, kicked the goals and did ok in the ruck.
He is worth persisting with.