Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

London Dave

Post by London Dave »

It's a good idea I reckon.
lethalburns

Post by lethalburns »

I am still coming to terms with what I am reading here....

Eddie has been great for Collingwood in terms of turning us into a massive marketing machine...

I hope people realise we just turned D.Milane into a stupid 'gimmick'....

How disrespectful to go against a decision that was made unanimously without even consulting the members... I am ashamed for those who condoned this and I cant believe they went ahead with the idea with such little debate...

Congratulations Ed, you are successfully turning Collingwood into a fashion.

I ignored the fact that there are a huge number of overnight Collingwood die hards appearing everywhere, due to the financial benefits the club has gained...Yet this is a complete disaster... You are tearing at the fabric of of Collingwood... What is this? Some sort of desprate attempt to sustain our momentum for a flag? I am gob smacked.. truely...
WKB

Post by WKB »

I thought it was a bad idea at first. But it is so people, and obviously we all know about Pants but in 20-30 years time young kids can say that the knew guy is wearing Darren Millanes number. I think it will be a great tradition, the new kid can immediately know what it is all about to be part of the Collingwood family and hopefully take something from it and become a great player.

Again, at first a bad idea but keeping the jumper in people's minds, thus Darren Millane is a good idea. Future generations must know what that jumper stood for.
GO RUPERT 10

Post by GO RUPERT 10 »

if anyone deserves to wear no 42 in our team its scott burns or nathan buckley
they epitomise all that darren millane had
courage,strength and passion for the jumper
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

I am concerned that there was no consultation in making this decision.

I certainly hope the Milane family was told about the decision and believe the idea should have been floated to the public before hand for discussion.
d9 tank

Post by d9 tank »

Gee some people are drama queens.

Fantastic initiative by the club that all Millane fans should support.

Let the name and jumper go stagnant or make it the most important number on our list?

Well done Ed, Mick and co. Good luck Morro.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

I have to say I think the no 42 should be brought back, but maybe we should have done what Richmond did and make every captain wear no 42 or maybe something else. If it goes to the no1 draft pick it doesn't mean much. We'll probably then never see it in Black and white anyway, just in yellow and blue!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

You think Bucks Or Lica aint fit to wear the jumper No.42 Piedys?
I DONT THINK SO! Very Big Call My Freind!
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
2 PIES IN CAIRNS

Post by 2 PIES IN CAIRNS »

Sure, this is an emotional issue. Pants will always be one of our favourite sons. Let's not go overboard , though.
Was McAlister's (Collingwood's) decision as announced on 10/10/91 put to a vote of the faithful???
The board are put there by the members to represent them. There will often (hopefully not too often) be decisions which are unpopular with some members and non-member supporters...that's life.
OK, the decision has been made. Yep, it'll be strange to say the least to see someone other than Darren out there in the No. 42 but it's going to happen. Where do we draw the line??? Bobby Rose has left us, so do we demand that No 22 be retired "indefinitely"?? Shit, if we follow such a line of thinking, all our boys would be out there in numbers between 65 and 99. Can't you just hear it..."Go Bucks.. the greatest Pie ever to wear the famous 75".
Just maybe the Millane family will be immensely proud to see the 42 out there again.
I'm bloody sure I will be....and it will bring some fantastic memories flooding back for me.
As has been said before me.."indefinitely" does not necessarily mean "permanently".
The No 42 Collingwood jumper belongs to all of us just as it belonged to other players before D. Millane came along .
I reckon we deserve to see it and have the opportunity to honour it and applaud it again.

GO PIES
CQ

Post by CQ »

i dont really mind it either way, but one thing that has annoyed me a bit about it, is that it seems to just be a thing to attract publicity. like it will get new attention every year. and then we will hardly see it anyway cos they usually stay in the ressies their first year.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Magpie_Dan wrote:You think Bucks Or Lica aint fit to wear the jumper No.42 Piedys?
I DONT THINK SO! Very Big Call My Friend!
MD,
I know what you are saying dude, so here goes...

Bucks would be the only player to have my blessing to wear #42.
Realistically though, he'll never change from #5.

Lica's efforts for the last few years have been sensational. But alas his last 2 GF efforts have been less than what we expected for one reason or another. Besides, he always wanted #18 since he was a kid.

That would only leave Sir Scott Burns, whose endeavor i cannot fault, yet cannot see him changing numbers after 9 seasons.

Even Hawthorn had the good grace to retire Peter Crimmins #5 jumper for MANY years from the 70's, until it was finally given to Andy Collins in the 90's. I'm very biased towards Andy, as he was a teacher at my school, and a great bloke as well. Certainly a worthy recepient, playing in all their Grand Finals from 1987 - 1991.

My point being, win a premiership - earn the right.

Dyso (still cranky).
Ian

Post by Ian »

To David from Canberra - Just what my thoughts were, maybe make it an honour and make the captain No 42 for the year.
Donny
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Donny »

It's the decision to retire the number that wasn't thought through all that well.

2PIC has said most of what I was thinking of posting.

If we were to retire certain players numbers because they were courageous, loyal and talented - and they died tragically at a young age - there'd hardly be a number under about 90 available.

Think of how many young players died in wartime.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

2 PIES IN CAIRNS wrote:Sure, this is an emotional issue. Pants will always be one of our favourite sons.
OK, the decision has been made. Yep, it'll be strange to say the least to see someone other than Darren out there in the No. 42 but it's going to happen.
Just maybe the Millane family will be immensely proud to see the 42 out there again.
The No 42 Collingwood jumper belongs to all of us just as it belonged to other players before D. Millane came along .
2PIC,
Yes, all valid points you made but God, this better be what Denise Millane wants.
Okay, how many players who wore 42 previously, have had their name inscribed on the locker for 100+ games service, a Copeland Trophy (1987, was there that night too...) and a premiership medallion to show for their efforts? And did these other players frequently visit sick children in hospitals and bring them gifts to cheer them up, as Pants did...?

Dyso (still foaming at mouth like rabid dog...)
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

Tis cool piedys!
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE