#5 Jamie Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

E

Post by E »

AN_Inkling wrote:From the doc at the members forum:
"The latest news is Jamie's back has healed. It feels normal. He has screws in but is healing well," - #membersforum
i doubt this means he has proven to himself that the back can stand up to the rigors of AFL footy. All it means, at this stage, is that as of right now, he is confident he could live a normal life after football.

given the medical views on this injury, he has a 20% shot at best of returning to the player we know and love from 2 years ago. Maybe a 50% shot he comes back a lesser player (who might not be up to AFL standard by the way), and a 30% chance the career is over.

I love Elliot and wish him well, but these are the medical facts of his injury.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

They seem like made up numbers ;). It's a serious injury for sure, let's just see how he goes, none of us know at this point.
Well done boys!
E

Post by E »

AN_Inkling wrote:They seem like made up numbers ;). It's a serious injury for sure, let's just see how he goes, none of us know at this point.
No, they are very scientific!!!!! believe me.....
mosig

Post by mosig »

Remember kids, 72% of statistics are made up
STOKA35

Post by STOKA35 »

"The latest news is Jamie's back has healed. It feels normal. He has screws in but is healing well," - #membersforum
It's heeled but has screws in still how's that work
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

STOKA35 wrote:
I think you'll find Darcy Moore still has screws in his collarbone, and there is no time limit on them being there.

From what I understand, this is standard surgical procedure. They are screwed into the bone slightly recessed below the surface so they have no impact on soft tissues. They just hold and allow bones to knit.

The club has said that Jamie will be back in this pre-season and Dr Bradshaw says that the back is "healed", so there is every reason to hope it'll be systems go for Jamie in 2017. Someone above said that his back was like a "violet crumble" - in truth it is a single vertebra that has a small stressed fracture in it, which would normally be fixable with time and surgery to fuse/fix the upper and lower parts of the vertebra together.

That is what Jamie has had. Of course there is some risk that he might have a structural defect or susceptibility there, but with ordinary luck he should be good to go.

http://livehealthy.chron.com/pars-defec ... -1040.html
Two more flags before I die!
E

Post by E »

mosig wrote:Remember kids, 72% of statistics are made up
in this case, the number may be higher.....
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

STOKA35 wrote:
FWIW, last year I had a stomach operation and it has fully healed, however I still have screws in that don't affect me one little bit. 8)
Make of that what you will dude.... :roll:
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

STOKA35 wrote:
He's screwed. :?
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

RudeBoy wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
He's screwed. :?
So that is now Buck's, Eddie, Elliot, Witts, Boomer, Dal Santo, Petrie, Mayne...........lets keep adding to the screwed list RB.... :twisted: :P
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I am sure I have read that bones with screws are stronger than those without.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Bucks5 wrote:I am sure I have read that bones with screws are stronger than those without.
No, the bone heals and regains it's original strength. Screws and plates do nit make them any stronger.

All the plate does is hold the fractured bone pieces together while they heal. After the bone heals, the plate and screws serve no function at all. All the strength of a healed bone comes from the bone itself.

http://noelhenley.com/432/should-i-have ... s-removed/
Last edited by Skids on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Why can't they just replace his skeleton with Adamantium, hasn't been too bad for Hugh Jackman...
Get back on top.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Cam wrote:Why can't they just replace his skeleton with Adamantium, hasn't been too bad for Hugh Jackman...
So unplug the jukebox
And do us all a favor, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, that music's lost its taste
So try another flavor

Is that the wrong Adam-Ant-ium?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Elliot has had a very serious injury. I'll be happy to to see him slowly ease into preseason training. A few games in the VFL to start the season next year won't hurt him either. If we get him back to his preinjury form in the AFL by the middle of the year I'll be very happy. Fasolo can cover for him until he comes back. Not having both of them out there on the field kills it for us.