#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Didaksgoal

Post by Didaksgoal »

Coxy has been great for us, and will only get better. He is not a superstar, but will develop very well into a very good footballer. He has the football smarts, all the while being a pup. We've got a good one.

Go the Pies!
Jpies

Post by Jpies »

Can't blame Cox. 8 weeks ago he'd never played a game at afl level, and half the people on this thread (rightly) pointed out that we couldn't expect him to come in and be the answer to our problems. He came in as a 2nd/3rd tall and did well. Since then, due to injury/form issues to other players, he's suddenly expected to become the no. 1 forward and perform at that level every week. That was never going to happen, and dropping him would only delay his development. I don't think he needs to go back to VFL for confidence- the guy has been a professional athlete for over 7 years and seems to go hard every game. Keep playing him and let him develop his game for next season.
Funkadelic

Post by Funkadelic »

Great stuff crackerjack!
"Most of all he needs the funk,
Help him find the funk"
We need our funk back!
Tear the roof off tha sucker!!!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

First time we've tried the 3x talls and it didn't work as well as it could have but you have to wonder how much of that was a consequence of the midfield getting flogged. Given finals are not likely I'd be happy to give it a few weeks. I mean it looked like a master stroke for most of the first quarter when the midfield was on top.
Magpie Jack

Post by Magpie Jack »

Darkstranger wrote:Maybe a guy who is 212 cm can take a mark at the highest point should be used as a ruckman?
Thank God it wasn't just me.
Bob Rose....the measuring stick of humanity
E

Post by E »

Bucks2014 wrote:He missed that goal because he rushed his routine. Mason obviously new time was getting away. Keeps playing for mine, delivery to him was pretty horrendous at times.

I know your not a fan OP, but in a year of real disappointment he has been a positive.
Ha, you recognize my past. i Love it. Who were you in your past life?

I'll never forget going to the 2002 Grand Final in a bar in NY and having this pretty young kiwi lass asking me if I was the infamous OP. she was NYpie or something like that. She is still to this day the most knowledgeable Kiwi football fan i've ever met.
STOKA35

Post by STOKA35 »

I say no, has the best stats for a second ruckman who predominantly plays forward and spends 20% time in ruck didn't happen yesterday as witts played 2nd ruckman role.
Medders85

Post by Medders85 »

Problem is we went too tall today. Not Cox's fault.... we kicked 8 goals and he kicked 2 (Yeah Cox is the problem). As previous posters have stated if we had any smart small forwards they would get front and centre whenever the ball is kicked to Cox as he generally brings the ball to ground. Sadly our 'crumbers' think they are marking players.

Witts just isn't AFL Standard. Grundy is our number 1 ruck and Cox gives him a chop out. How can Bucks honestly think that playing Witts, Cox, Grundy and Jesse White in the one side is going to achieve a good result?
DIDAK..... STILL WITH DIDAK..... OH YES OF COURSE HE IS SPECIAL THAT BOY!!!!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Raw Hammer wrote:Why? If we had half a brain we'd be crumbling him front and centre. He's rarely beaten, but no one seems to understand what front and centre is.
I agree, we've been crumbling most of this season with or without Cox.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Big Dan

Post by Big Dan »

No. Keep at all costs. Definite ray of light so far this season.
Big Dan

Post by Big Dan »

No. Keep at all costs. Definite ray of light so far this season.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Chat amongst yourselves.
Bucks2014

Post by Bucks2014 »

E wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:He missed that goal because he rushed his routine. Mason obviously new time was getting away. Keeps playing for mine, delivery to him was pretty horrendous at times.

I know your not a fan OP, but in a year of real disappointment he has been a positive.
Ha, you recognize my past. i Love it. Who were you in your past life?

I'll never forget going to the 2002 Grand Final in a bar in NY and having this pretty young kiwi lass asking me if I was the infamous OP. she was NYpie or something like that. She is still to this day the most knowledgeable Kiwi football fan i've ever met.
Thanks for sharing, wonderful story. It reminds me of grand final day in 1980, I was wearing my Pies jumper with Daics number on the back. Anyway I was only young and getting my sugar hit in a milk bar when another kid came in wearing a Richmond jumper, we stared at each other. Still to this day I can't believe he purchased Aniseed Rings.
"Still waiting for your call Caroline ... not a quote in sight. Don't ever presume to speak on Collingwood's behalf,"
yin-YANG

Post by yin-YANG »

Love us or Hate us... we are Collingwood - you can't ignore the Mighty Magpies!!!
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Mason's role is to be the 2nd ruckman, and be a little bit dangerous in the forward pocket. The mark he took at the end of the game, one out, where the defender didn't haven't a chance is what we are looking at him to be.

I reckon Treloar and Cox are the only two positives for the year. Yes, we have played a few young guys, but none of them are looking statrtling.

It's not his fault we are playing him at full forward.