#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Maybe they should play Cloke at CHF in the twos this week instead of FF. Then he'll have ample opportunity to get amongst it. When they didn't move him up the ground on the week end it made me suspect they were contemplating playing him In the seniors a la Tony Armstrong but no. So in that case I don't know why they didn't move him further up the ground to help him get amongst it.

But re the original post, I actually posted that Cox's mark and opening goal of the game was the best thing I've seen this year.
Last edited by Dangles on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

The one handed mark and handpass off wasn't bad either.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:The story of him making it into the seniors is bigger than the story of how he performed. He was ok and certainly did some nice things, but this was the easiest game to debut in this year.
Definitely the story, one of those feel good ones.

Statistically he did no better than either Witts or Grundy have done in the same role but in his first game and a big win when we'd been crying out for a win, he showed that most horrible word, potential.

Give him 10 games and when he hasn't gone from showing potential to turning into Paul Salmon reincarnated you'll have people howling for his head and calling him a failure and a dud.
:roll:
No, I doubt it. Moore's played 14 games, so far, all but one of which have been less impressive than Cox's and Moore is still The Anointed One. So, I think it takes a bit longer than 10 weeks, although Mason might get a bit less leeway than Moore if you factor in the extent of general anti-American sentiment and the absence of a famous father. He's probably right until (when/if) The Weed Mk III kicks 5 goals for Melbourne.
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

stui magpie wrote:
Dangles wrote:Maybe they should play Cloke at CHF in the twos this week instead of FF. Then he'll have ample opportunity to get amongst it. When they didn't move him up the ground on the week end it made me suspect they were contemplating playing in the seniors a la Tony Armstrong but no. So in that case I don't know why they didn't move him further up the ground to help him get amongst it.

But re the original post, I actually posted that Cox's mark and opening goal of the game was the best thing I've seen this year.
The one handed mark and handpass off wasn't bad either.
Yeah, he had some good touches. But given the build up to the game, not just for him but the team too, his opening goal was the fairytale start and set the tone for the rest of that great first quarter.
Last edited by Dangles on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

I said last year it wouldn't surprise me if Cox was our best tap ruckman before this season is out and nothing so far will make me change that view.

Importantly though I think he projects as being our most capable ruck forward and this will allow us to play him and Grundy together.

He's only going to get better.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

He did not even know the game a mere two years ago, even andy maher stuck up for him today, on radio, against a few dickheads ringing in saying he hadn't done much, maher and gaze told em to basically pull their heads in, give the American pie some credit for his great debut.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

"The American Pie." :lol:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Shae mac will be grinding his teeth over that one. :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:The story of him making it into the seniors is bigger than the story of how he performed. He was ok and certainly did some nice things, but this was the easiest game to debut in this year.
Definitely the story, one of those feel good ones.

Statistically he did no better than either Witts or Grundy have done in the same role but in his first game and a big win when we'd been crying out for a win, he showed that most horrible word, potential.

Give him 10 games and when he hasn't gone from showing potential to turning into Paul Salmon reincarnated you'll have people howling for his head and calling him a failure and a dud.
:roll:
No, I doubt it. Moore's played 14 games, so far, all but one of which have been less impressive than Cox's and Moore is still The Anointed One. So, I think it takes a bit longer than 10 weeks, although Mason might get a bit less leeway than Moore if you factor in the extent of general anti-American sentiment and the absence of a famous father. He's probably right until (when/if) The Weed Mk III kicks 5 goals for Melbourne.
Dude, we're Collingwood. We supporters live for the glimpse of potential and what it may bring so we idolise players like Kink who can turn it on for a quarter then do nothing for a month
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

He was absolutely fantastic

Ive loved everything he has done and would have had him in Round 1

Problem was Gault wouldn't stop kicking goals and Bucks seems to not want to play 4 talls like we did when we smashed Geelong
Seems he is pretty set on the 1 ruck, 1 forward/ruck and Moore

No doubt our best footy in 2016 has been when Cox has been involved
piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

stui magpie wrote:Dude, we're Collingwood. We supporters live for the glimpse of potential and what it may bring so we idolise players like Kink who can turn it on for a quarter then do nothing for a month
Kink very unlucky not to win a premiership or three.
He does hold the record for playing in the most losing grand finals, yeah?
Suppose it's hard to win them when Hafey trains you to exhaustion the thursday night before the game though...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Dude, we're Collingwood. We supporters live for the glimpse of potential and what it may bring so we idolise players like Kink who can turn it on for a quarter then do nothing for a month
Kink very unlucky not to win a premiership or three.
He does hold the record for playing in the most losing grand finals, yeah?
Suppose it's hard to win them when Hafey trains you to exhaustion the thursday night before the game though...
imagine if social media existed back in those days.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

John Wren wrote:imagine if social media existed back in those days.
WHAT?! And deprive ourselves the privilege of reading The Truth newspaper?
Methinks you be mad sir... :lol:
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ i don't think the truth was something you read; moreso looked at.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Lucky the Truth was tabloid size.

You could read Heartbalm 1 handed. :oops: