#38 Jeremy Howe

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Cam wrote:Warrick Capper was 190cms.. and despite his unco style dropped the ball well and kicked alot of goals.

Chad Wingard 181cm 53 goals <- Port using imagination.
Gunston 193 cm 53 gls <- Howe role?
Bruest 184 cm 52 gls
Jake Stringer 192 cm 56 gls
Tory Dickson 184 cm 50 gls
Josh Hill 185 cm 39 gls

Jarryd Roughhead 193 cm
Taylor Walker 192 cm
Matthew Pavlich 192 cm
Stevie J 189 cm
Adam Goodes 191 cm
Chris Dawes 193 cm

Gavin Brown 184 cm
Brian Taylor 191 cm
Tony Modra 188 cm

Howe could be anything up forward. Especially with Cloke, Moore and Elliott drawing the real defensive heat.
While I'm not disputing the merits of the players listed above, it is disconcerting that we are contemplating a 25 year old player (with limited evidence on exposed form supporting the premise) COULD be handy.

And that to me is the issue with Howe, he just hasn't found a spot to call his own or demonstrated a capacity for much more than an occasional speccy. I made the same comments about Treloar because I hadn't seen a lot of him, but his numbers are A-grade.
I think the fact that he's played his career at Melbourne gives him a bit of leeway. In our forward line though, he could be something special.
It is a risky proposition, but we're not talking about a huge contract or a high draft pick here. I reckon he's worth taking a chance on.
Unless I'm mistaken discussion is he'll cost a pick in the 20s and north of $400k a year, hardly bargain basement.

PS: Where he's played doesn't matter 1 iota. Same environment hasn't hurt Hogan.
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

Nah you're not mistaken, that'll be the cost in cash and picks. My point is that it's not all that much. We'd probably get Howe for the pick we get for Seedsman and at about the same salary cap space. And if we did keep the Seed, there'd be risks associated with that too.

Of course it matters where Howe's played. As a forward, he's been starved of the ball because Melbourne don't win enough of it. So they moved him down back where he hasn't played well because while he's a good intercept mark, he's not a natural defender. Imagine him in Hawthorn's forward line over the last 5 years, he'd be a star. And imagine Rioli in Melbourne's, he'd have played every position on the ground apart from ruck and probably been delisted by now.

Hogan is a key position player with no obvious weakness. Recruiting him would cost at least double what Howe would get and at least 2 top 5 draft picks for the trade. Of course you'd pay that, there's no risk with Hogan. There is risk with Howe and so you pay less, but not nothing. Not bargain basement. There are other clubs chasing him.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

I think he'd be worth a look perhaps on a two-year deal at 400k a season. We might not have seen his true potential in a bottom side but then again, that never stops the genuine stars from showing something. Aside from a highlight reel with big marks, I haven't seen him do much else. I'm tired of the excuse when people blame form on ladder position. This is a tough one. I mean Melbourne do have some pretty good young players, some great mature players and a serviceable forward line with Hogan and Dawes, so I'm not sure why they still can't get their act together. There must be something else going on mentally.
princem007

Howe to be a Pie??

Post by princem007 »

Listening to SEN on the drive home and apparently howe will be a pie. Don't ask me howe we will get this to work but I sure hope like Howe we can. Maybe a straight swap for Kennedy that's Howe??
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

I think we'd need to add a pick along with Kennedy. Schwartz says that Howe will be a Pie for what that's worth.

Roos and Suns also keen on Howe.
Well done boys!
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

And who does he replace in the 22 ?
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Reckon it'd be a BK + a second rounder.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I've been waiting for you.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

CarringbushCigar wrote:And who does he replace in the 22 ?
I don't know, some people don't like Blair. He does at least have an identifiable spot given that we currently do not have a medium forward, not sure Kennedy does have one.
Well done boys!
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

Howe is a replacement for the now frequently injured Goldsack.
Born and raised in Black and White
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Howe for:

* Toovey
* Blair
* C Young
* Freeman
* Karnezis
* S Dwyer
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Well done on not including Sinclair in your list :D.
Well done boys!
GreekLunatic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

ox gets alot of things wrong
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

His agent was shopping him around for $700k, apparently that is now around $450k.

Surely if we are paying that money - we isn't going to be playing for the Ressies with Greenwood and White - also on similar money.

Geez i hope this isn't a 'Captains Call'.

Spend the extra $150k and get Carlisle or pay a lot less and get Aaron Black.

Howe has barely held his spot with Melbourne for the last 5 years.
Not A Grade potential.
Last edited by CarringbushCigar on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

I'd love to have Howe, solid player, but those screamers! In front of a big Pies crowd he'd quickly become a cult figure.