So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Back in 2005 we took Thomas and Pendlebury from the same U18 team and I wonder if our recruiters in primarily setting out to watch Thomas closely came to notice another young player that they ended up liking so much they took him somewhat earlier than expected.

I only bring this up as De Goey is suddenly right in the mix at pick 5 who of course is Moore's teammate.

History might be about to repeat itself.

P.S-Didn't Gippsland Power win the grand final in 2005 like Oakleigh this season?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

swoop42 wrote:Back in 2005 we took Thomas and Pendlebury from the same U18 team and I wonder if our recruiters in primarily setting out to watch Thomas closely came to notice another young player that they ended up liking so much they took him somewhat earlier than expected.

I only bring this up as De Goey is suddenly right in the mix at pick 5 who of course is Moore's teammate.

P.S-Didn't Gippsland Power win the grand final in 2005 like Oakleigh this season?
Yeah, I read somewhere that we've got our eye somewhat on De Goey. Judging from his highlights package alone, he looks a good player, but not as good as Laverde or even Weller imho. Still, wtfwik? :roll:
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

swoop42 wrote:Back in 2005 we took Thomas and Pendlebury from the same U18 team and I wonder if our recruiters in primarily setting out to watch Thomas closely came to notice another young player that they ended up liking so much they took him somewhat earlier than expected.

They did. Good memory.

Now that you put it like that... (*cue Twilight Zone theme*)
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Hine actually went to watch Pendles brother play and didn't think much of him, story goes he asked who this other player on the same team was, answer, that's his little brother, I'm assuming both were playing local level seniors.

So Pendles was well and truly on his radar early in the piece.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

1.Laverde
2.Wright
3.Pickett
4.Lever

5.Weller/Ahern/De Goey/Langford

9.R. McKenzie/Durdin

Personally I think those top 4 appear to be the clear best available come pick 5.

If we take one from the other group it would seem a stretch at 5 and it might be a more needs based decision.

I'd love to hear the discussion and thought processes that Hine and Co. go through when putting together there draft board and how they see all these players.

I'd like the club to document this process on video and show us when the draft is done and dusted.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
scud

Post by scud »

We also took Goldsack the same draft who was from gippy power. Doubt it was a deliberate strategy more best available
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

scud wrote:

We also took Goldsack the same draft who was from gippy power. Doubt it was a deliberate strategy more best available
don't forget caff and paul hudson too.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
E

Post by E »

swoop42 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
swoop42 wrote:A bit of left field thinking here but if by some small chance we took De Goey at 5 I wonder if other Oakleigh players who we rate could come into play at our other selections.

Geelong if my memory serves me correctly did pretty well by taking a number of young men who had played together at the falcons.

We've taken a number of South Australians over the last couple of seasons who have done the same thing.

5-De Goey
9-Moore
30-D.McKenzie
48-McLean
McLean won't be there by 48. I'd have him at 30.

BTW, can De Goey kick & is he fast?
Apparently De Goey is a very good kick and while not super quick isn't slow either.

He's seen as a natural footballer, super competitive who goes hard at the ball.

A very good mark for his size.

I think I still favour Laverde ahead of him but if he goes at 4 and we look to pass on Wright he would have to come into calculations alongside Langford as I get the feeling we are after a 185-190cm midfield/flanker type who possess some elite capabilities and can hit the scoreboard.

Then again I could be completely wrong.

:lol:
I say we take wright if he is there at 5 and then package him up with a draft pick for Dangerfield or some other quality player that we want next year! worst case, we end up with Moore up one end and wright up the other end.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Big T »

All this talk of wright being used as trade bait a year later infers the kid will be an absolute gun.

So if that's the case we should take him and keep him.
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Big T wrote:All this talk of wright being used as trade bait a year later infers the kid will be an absolute gun.

Exactamundo!

After much thought and changing of my mind, here are my preferences for our pick 5 - assuming McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw are taken earlier.

1. Wright
2. Laverde
3. Pickett
4. Weller
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

RudeBoy wrote:
Big T wrote:All this talk of wright being used as trade bait a year later infers the kid will be an absolute gun.

Exactamundo!

After much thought and changing of my mind, here are my preferences for our pick 5 - assuming McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw are taken earlier.

1. Wright
2. Laverde
3. Pickett
4. Weller
i would have thought a good kpp would be preferable to a good midfielder given the latter are a dime a dozen. wright and moore realising their potential in our forward line in five years' time would be a delicious prospect especially given cloke will be early 30s by then.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

i just read an article suggesting wright could slide to pick #17.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7116889916

anyone's guess i suppose. petracca seems the only lock.
E

Post by E »

all I was trying to say big T is that if you take the best available, you either end up with a gun or you can trade for a gun. Much better than taking a lesser player because you must have a 189 cm strong bodied midfielder (for example).

I wonder if at the end of next year, we thought that Wright would mature into Josh Kennedy in 3-4 years, would we give him up for a player of the caliber of that crappy Judd dude that Carlton picked up from west coast?
E

Post by E »

John Wren wrote:i just read an article suggesting wright could slide to pick #17.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7116889916

anyone's guess i suppose. petracca seems the only lock.
No, Brayshaw is also a lock to be gone by pick 4 (Melbourne are taking him). I'd be 100% shocked if the top 3 aren't Petracca, brayshaw and mcCartin. It starts to get interesting at 4 thought and with GWS holding 3 of the next 4 there is massive intrigue between Collingwood and GWS. GWS could possibly get their three next best players if they know what the pies want.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

The talk of a clear top 4 is out the window. Top three still looks fairly settled, but it seems no one knows what's happening after that.

Wright with a potential Grundy slide? I wouldn't have picked that given most see him as a forward more than a ruck, but there may still be some doubts over his potential as a pure forward. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks as clubs let slip their intentions.
Well done boys!