#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Lazza wrote:
Damien wrote:Majak aside, the AFLs ranks is gunna be full of Sudanese kids before too long. Their height and athletic abilities are starting to really show thru in local junior footy and once they are ingrained with AFL from a very early age look out.
That would be bloody sensational. I hope Collingwood get some of the Sudanese (and other) young stars into our youth academy and train them up. Like Jackcass said, some NZ, Fiji and Tongan talent wouldn't hurt either, while still keeping an eye open for outstanding Irish and US talent. We must never let a chance go by to improve our list, and taking calculated risks and thinking outside the square is a really good thing to do.
Only the NSW and QLD Side have Youth Academeny's
I am Da Man
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

On a recent episode of The Club, I saw that Collingwood had an acedemy for future father/son draftees. Why cant they just extend that to include other young kids with potential??
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Lazza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Lazza wrote: That would be bloody sensational. I hope Collingwood get some of the Sudanese (and other) young stars into our youth academy and train them up. Like Jackcass said, some NZ, Fiji and Tongan talent wouldn't hurt either, while still keeping an eye open for outstanding Irish and US talent. We must never let a chance go by to improve our list, and taking calculated risks and thinking outside the square is a really good thing to do.
Only the NSW and QLD Side have Youth Academeny's
On a recent episode of The Club, I saw that Collingwood had an acedemy for future father/son draftees. Why cant they just extend that to include other young kids with potential??
I guess because we could spend a lot of money developing kids who would just get snapped up in the draft by other clubs. At least with the father sons we get first right of refusal.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

The youth academies give their NSW and Qld sides preferencial access to the kids that pass through them. No such benefit for us for non-F/S prospects. It how Sydney will likely grab Heeny (spelling???) at this years draft and get a cheapie.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

MOTR wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Happy to keep persisting with these project international players, we'll have get one right sooner or later?
Hine groups them together as alternative athletes. We've had 3 who have been able to earn promotion onto our main list, with Keeffe and Witts still with plenty of upside. Marty is probably cooked. Mooney is still some chance of being promoted, although it would seem his trajectory has flattened out. Shae and Richmond were outright busts. Not a bad record, given the speculative nature of these picks and the advantage that comes with being able to pick them up outside the draft.
I said international, Keeffe and Witts are neither. I had hopes for Clarke, he's our most successful international rookie which doesn't say much about our success rate. I highly doubt Mooney will make it. This is not to say that Cox won't but he'd be certainly bucking the trend if he does. (no pun intended)
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Damien wrote:Majak aside, the AFLs ranks is gunna be full of Sudanese kids before too long. Their height and athletic abilities are starting to really show thru in local junior footy and once they are ingrained with AFL from a very early age look out.
It would be welcome if it did happen, because there's no doubt that AFL, as a sport, is mediocre in its athleticsm. And that's because most of its participants are white. This especially goes for our taller players who are mostly slow and incredibly cumbersome. Unlike basketball, AFL is not all about athleticism, and unfortunately, a focus on stamina and defensive efforts is hurting the expression of skill and natural, explosive athleticism in the game.
Well done boys!
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

Go check his "basketball" stats at OK State he scored 2 baskets all season. If your thinking of the basketball awareness Pendlebury has. this guy is nowhere near the basketball talent of Pendlebury. Not even close. His skill is height at this point.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

BBHS wrote:Go check his "basketball" stats at OK State he scored 2 baskets all season. If your thinking of the basketball awareness Pendlebury has. this guy is nowhere near the basketball talent of Pendlebury. Not even close. His skill is height at this point.
He was a Walk-On so getting game time at all is pretty impressive. Not like he was on a full time team list so the comparison is not a good one.
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

Dave The Man wrote:
BBHS wrote:Go check his "basketball" stats at OK State he scored 2 baskets all season. If your thinking of the basketball awareness Pendlebury has. this guy is nowhere near the basketball talent of Pendlebury. Not even close. His skill is height at this point.

Well maybe because Pendles had been playing since he was a Kid and Cox only started when he was at college
Not the point Dave. Just because he played basketball won't give him this magical awareness people think it's associated with. It's called talent. And 99% of 6-10 Basketballers have bugger all. Especially guys who average 2 minutes a game on court in their college career.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Lazza wrote:
He was a Walk-On so getting game time at all is pretty impressive. Not like he was on a full time team list so the comparison is not a good one.
I think it could be like I was on a full time team list so the comparison is not a good one.
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

Big Mason Cox is about to board a Qantas flight to Australia landing in Melbourne @ 8:30 Friday morning , according to a caller on sen this morning
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
Darkstranger

Post by Darkstranger »

Yep I posted this the other day, will be Collingwood bound next week.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:Big Mason Cox is about to board a Qantas flight to Australia landing in Melbourne @ 8:30 Friday morning , according to a caller on sen this morning
Wasn't that Ricky Nixon who rang that thru?
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Play him FF this week.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

haven't really followed this story. any reason why we should be excited by this prospect?
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.