#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

the pie guy

Post by the pie guy »

Defender wrote:
the pie guy wrote:My main concern is that Cox is around 22/23 years old and as I said in a previous posting, we should explore the possibility of getting a yank at 18 or 19 and putting him through Uni. and into our VFL side while studying, that way by the time he graduates (22/23) he knows the game.

Having said that.
1. He does not cost us a pick or place on the list
2. His salary is outside the salary cap
3. We can teach him the skills to an acceptable level in a year, elite level will take a few years.
4. Fitness will be a problem for the first 2 years as American athletes need to build their aerobic capacity for our game (just ask Holmes at ST K and Wallace at NM) and even Brodie is still getting there.
4. The one thing that will take longer (and may never be picked up) is his reading of the play. This is what all non AFL players struggle with, the ability to anticipate and react when the ball is still a 100 metres away, but then again there are plenty of drafted players that have never developed that ability. When I played in Qld we had several rugby players come across and that was always the problem.

Having said all that I still believe it is a worthwhile exercise, and with our financial might and facilities why not give it a go.
An elite 18-19 year old athlete would still have dreams of making it in their preferred sport though, and an 18 year old would be much more unlikely to move to another country to play a sport he knows nothing about.

Exactly yanks dream of 2 things. 1. getting drafted. 2. going to college
Re the first there are 300 million yanks and most realistically know they will not be drafted re the second point college is expensive and so by offering a scholarship to Melb. or Monash Uni. we could jag a very good athlete.

Also as to 18 /19 yr. olds not leaving home there are plenty of aussies in their college system so why the reverse. Getting one or two here at even 20 years of age and putting them into our reserve squad (while at Uni)would mean that by 23 they would be a better chance at making the transition.
As for a sport they know nothing about, just give any Yank a look at AFL and they are hooked, they love it (just ask any that have come out)

Still say its worth a shot
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

the pie guy wrote:
Defender wrote:
the pie guy wrote:My main concern is that Cox is around 22/23 years old and as I said in a previous posting, we should explore the possibility of getting a yank at 18 or 19 and putting him through Uni. and into our VFL side while studying, that way by the time he graduates (22/23) he knows the game.

Having said that.
1. He does not cost us a pick or place on the list
2. His salary is outside the salary cap
3. We can teach him the skills to an acceptable level in a year, elite level will take a few years.
4. Fitness will be a problem for the first 2 years as American athletes need to build their aerobic capacity for our game (just ask Holmes at ST K and Wallace at NM) and even Brodie is still getting there.
4. The one thing that will take longer (and may never be picked up) is his reading of the play. This is what all non AFL players struggle with, the ability to anticipate and react when the ball is still a 100 metres away, but then again there are plenty of drafted players that have never developed that ability. When I played in Qld we had several rugby players come across and that was always the problem.

Having said all that I still believe it is a worthwhile exercise, and with our financial might and facilities why not give it a go.
An elite 18-19 year old athlete would still have dreams of making it in their preferred sport though, and an 18 year old would be much more unlikely to move to another country to play a sport he knows nothing about.

Exactly yanks dream of 2 things. 1. getting drafted. 2. going to college
Re the first there are 300 million yanks and most realistically know they will not be drafted re the second point college is expensive and so by offering a scholarship to Melb. or Monash Uni. we could jag a very good athlete.

Also as to 18 /19 yr. olds not leaving home there are plenty of aussies in their college system so why the reverse. Getting one or two here at even 20 years of age and putting them into our reserve squad (while at Uni)would mean that by 23 they would be a better chance at making the transition.
As for a sport they know nothing about, just give any Yank a look at AFL and they are hooked, they love it (just ask any that have come out)

Still say its worth a shot
Good logical comments.

Well worth a shot I say.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

An elite 18 or 19 yr old in the USA has several years to go before potentially being drafted by an NFL/NBA team. To ask them at that age to come overseas means they need to be pragmatic and realistic enough to know they aren't good enough and be willing to take a free education and decent (but not great compared to NBA/NFL) cash as an option.

I'm not sure if that personality type is one that will succeed if they aren't prepared to take the risk and do the work and back themselves to get drafted at home.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

To They are not available right now, would you like to wait?
collie dog

Post by collie dog »

I feel like Leonard on Big Bang Theory. Why is this thread here and not in the draft forum?

DTM a tip for you: Learn to appreciate the players we already have, not the promise of future prospects.
Rain or hail, I wag my tail
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

collie dog wrote:I feel like Leonard on Big Bang Theory. Why is this thread here and not in the draft forum?

DTM a tip for you: Learn to appreciate the players we already have, not the promise of future prospects.
Sometimes, just like in politics, it's great to look at the promise of future prospects when the current mob make mistakes. Looking forward is a good thing instead on whinging and sooking about the current and past :roll: :roll:
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

collie dog wrote:I feel like Leonard on Big Bang Theory. Why is this thread here and not in the draft forum?

Pfffttt! Clearly they're all spuds based on our efforts against the Crows...
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Just saw him kick a football on channel 7. Collingwood.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT recruit this guy.

Just forget it. He's not going to become an AFL footballer. And if any other club looking at him had any sense and was fair to him and their own supporters, they would tell him to go home and concentrate on something else.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

bally12 wrote:Just saw him kick a football on channel 7. Collingwood.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT recruit this guy.

Just forget it. He's not going to become an AFL footballer. And if any other club looking at him had any sense and was fair to him and their own supporters, they would tell him to go home and concentrate on something else.
How would you know he be an Utter Dud?

All these types are long shots but how athletic and tall he is, He is worth taking a Chance On. Plus he does not take a List Spot Up
I am Da Man
Az

Post by Az »

bally12 wrote:Just saw him kick a football on channel 7. Collingwood.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT recruit this guy.

That's exactly how Shae kicked in the video he made to send to Collingwood. The only way they know how to kick a footy is to torpedo punt it down a field. I know he didn't end up making it however he did learn to kick a footy quite well in time. History tells us his chances are slim, but does that mean he doesn't deserve one? If it pans out we will have the tallest ruckman in the league with an incredible leap.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Az wrote:

That's exactly how Shae kicked in the video he made to send to Collingwood. The only way they know how to kick a footy is to torpedo punt it down a field. I know he didn't end up making it however he did learn to kick a footy quite well in time. History tells us his chances are slim, but does that mean he doesn't deserve one? If it pans out we will have the tallest ruckman in the league with an incredible leap.
Shae was not the Worst kick at the Club
I am Da Man
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Az wrote:

We could have the tallest ruck duo ever with Witts and Cox, and we'd be able to trade Grundy to Port for Wingard.
Well done boys!
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

AN_Inkling wrote:
Az wrote:

We could have the tallest ruck duo ever with Witts and Cox, and we'd be able to trade Grundy to Port for Wingard.
Would not Trade Grundy.
I am Da Man
woftam

Post by woftam »

Dave The Man wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Az wrote: That's exactly how Shae kicked in the video he made to send to Collingwood. The only way they know how to kick a footy is to torpedo punt it down a field. I know he didn't end up making it however he did learn to kick a footy quite well in time. History tells us his chances are slim, but does that mean he doesn't deserve one? If it pans out we will have the tallest ruckman in the league with an incredible leap.
Would not Trade Grundy.
Inky was just baiting you Dave & you took the hook. :)
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Even if he doesn't make it, it's still worth doing, I'm sure elite AFL coaches are still in the dark ages in training green horns, the more we do it the more we'll learn, I think all our coaches would have learnt a thing or 2 when coaching Shae, I'm sure they made mistakes and would probably do things a little differently if given the same opportunity again, they'll make mistake this time as well, but the more we experiment the more we'll learn.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.