#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

#46 Mason Cox

Post by Dave The Man »

CLUBS watched on as American prospect Mason Cox kicked off his trial for a place on an AFL list with an hour's training session at Etihad Stadium on Tuesday.

Recruiters from North Melbourne, Collingwood, Richmond and Port Adelaide were present as the 211cm former basketball and soccer player went through a range of skill-related drills.

Kangaroos coach Brad Scott was also in attendance.

As part of his eight-day visit to Australia, Cox will spend a day at each of the four clubs as the bidding begins to gain his signature as an international rookie.
Would Love to get this Kid

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-20/m ... -his-paces
Last edited by Dave The Man on Tue May 20, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Da Man
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Yes because we need another international rookie who has no concept about our game whatsoever, and we need to continue to invest more money and resources into finding more of these players when we have a whole pool of them in our own backyard.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

If it paid off and was a success then fine but current history has shown that it hasn't, so is it really worth it? We have exceptional talent here in Australia, so why do we need to waste our time with guys who are no good at their own sports and have no natural ability for the game. Unfortunately that's what lets them down. The fact that they haven't grown up with the game and so they have no clear understanding of the fundamentals which can only come from natural instinct - having played the game all your life.
Stupied

Post by Stupied »

Cat B Rookie. Outside salary cap. Athletic 7ft giant. We have the resources to give him a try so I don't see the problem??
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

I think we should leave no stone unturned trying to unearth these Cat B players.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

So North, Richmond and Port are our competitors for his signature.

Yeah, he'll be at Collingwood next year if we want him, simple.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

His biggest problem is he is already 23 yrs. It will take him 3 yrs at least at VFL level imo.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Better than Shae who was older when he started, could still have a potential 5-6+ year career.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

No different to any other rookie really, apart from not already having played football there's always risks involved but if he turns out to be a great player wouldn't it be worth it? If he fails no harm no foul, every year there are players that are drafted that don't work out.

I think we can afford the risk.
Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »

Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

mattys123 wrote:So North, Richmond and Port are our competitors for his signature.

Yeah, he'll be at Collingwood next year if we want him, simple.
Port is the Only Worry out of those 3 as how good they are at the moment
I am Da Man
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

It's been a while since we had a Cox, Dick or Johnson on our list.

Would compliment Ball and Goldsack nicely.

See I'm already doing knob jokes.

Excellent.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
LALU

Post by LALU »

Complete waste of time and money!!
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

Waste the money IMO. We've got money, this is one of the few chances we have to get a leg up on the clubs who don't have the money / resources that we do. Sure it's not a very efficient way to get good players, but if we get one top 22 player from this system then it's worth it.

Witts was a NSW scholarship player IIRR, again not a very efficient system but it's paid off once, it's cost us little but money and extra coaching resources (which we have) so I don't see the down side

- Ben