Laugh at Carlscum thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

March Premiers!
No doubt the Scum will be up and firing when the season proper comes around! Bucks will have to choose a horses for courses side for the round 2 clash. For instance we need to cover Big shorts with a quick defensive player, I cringe to the thought of Harry playing on him! Hope our midfield come out to play a physical game.
Jezza
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 327 times

Post by Jezza »

MagpieBat wrote:Looking at it from another angle, if we win tomorrow, a Pies vs Scum NAB Cup final isn't out of the question...
It's a definite possibility, but we'd have to beat the Lions next week as they remain unbeaten after sneaking a win over the Giants by three points just recently.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Jezza wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:Looking at it from another angle, if we win tomorrow, a Pies vs Scum NAB Cup final isn't out of the question...
It's a definite possibility, but we'd have to beat the Lions next week as they remain unbeaten after sneaking a win over the Giants by three points just recently.
It's quite possible.

Brisbane will have had to travel twice in 6 days and they only just got over the line against the Giants.

Both sides will have close to their best 22 on the park, and with all due respect to the Lions, our best 22 >>>>>>>>> their best 22, any day of the week.

Scum have Adelaide, give it to the Scum on today's performances.

North have Geelong, give it to Geelong.

And we have the Lions, so I'm confident in backing us.

Of course, if the Eagles win tomorrow, as I expect that they will, then it becomes irrelevant.
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

John Wren wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Flashman wrote:Carlton are looking good tonight.

Malthouse will improve them no doubt, which means we have to improve greatly from last year if we want to stick it up him because he'll have them primed.

I seem to recall the year they won the pre season comp, but ended up with the wooden spoon. ! These games mean very little, practice matches at best, im not reading much into it at all. :?
using that example of carlton's is the exception rather than the rule. if you bothered to do an ounce of research - and in this google day and age, there is no excuse for ignorance, chessboy - you'll find that most teams that make the final of the preseason comp generally make at least the prelim of the season proper that year.
OH really ? Did not the dogs win it a few seasons ago, when Acker was with them, and im pretty sure they missed the big stuff that season ? You read far too much into these pre season games JW, glorified practice matches with many rested stars, but I guess your myopic view of Carrrrrlton knows no bounds. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Didaksgoal

Post by Didaksgoal »

Pies vs blues pre-season final, that'd be nice. **** i hate carlton.

Go the Pies
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

For the record, here is a list of the pre-season comp winners and runners up since 2000, and in brackets where they finished in the regular season (pre-season comp winners in bold):

2000 - Essendon (premiers) vs North Melbourne (prelim final)

2001 - Port Adelaide (semi final) vs Brisbane (premiers)

2002 - Port Adelaide (prelim final) vs Richmond (14th)

2003 - Adelaide (semi final) vs Collingwood (runners up)

2004 - St Kilda (prelim final) vs Geelong (prelim final)

2005 - Carlton (wooden spoon) vs West Coast (runners up)

2006 - Geelong (10th) vs Adelaide (prelim final)

2007 - Carlton (15th) vs Brisbane (10th)

2008 - St. Kilda (prelim final) vs Adelaide (elimination final)

2009 - Geelong (premiers) vs Collingwood (prelim final)

2010 - Bulldogs (prelim final) vs St Kilda (runners up)

2011 - Collingwood (runners up) vs Essendon (elimination final)

2012 - Adelaide (prelim final) vs West Coast (semi final)

As you can see, this trend suggests that a team which makes the NAB Cup final is highly likely to finish at least somewhere inside the final 8. The last time a NAB Cup finalist DID NOT finish in the home and away season final 8 was in 2007, when both teams failed to make it to September.

At the very least, the NAB Cup winner is likely to reach as far as the semi finals. Of the 13 pre-season comp deicders since 2000, 10 have finished in a semi final or higher, with the outliers being Carlton (2005), Geelong (2006) and Carlton (2007)

The trend DOES suggest, however, that for each time Carlton wins the pre-season comp, it blows its stack and fails to make the 8 come the end of the year. :D :lol: :P

Of couse, the trend also suggests that Collingwood either makes it to the pre-season final and loses, or wins it and loses the big one on grand final day. :shock: :oops: :cry:

And of course, the only 2 teams to win the pre-season trophy and then the flag 6 months later are Essendon (2000) and Geelong (2009).

So, make of it what you will.

PS: Carlton also won the pre-season trophy in 1997, against Geelong. Guess where the old dark navy cheats finished in the real season? That's right, 11th! :lol: :P
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ GOOD stats re the Scum, they obviously blow their wad too early, get too cocky and then die in the arse as the season goes on. May the trend continue, under the bitter ol sod.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

^ I'll drink to that... :cool: :D
yin-YANG

Post by yin-YANG »

Seems the Bloozers have done well... when it does not count! They are pretty much the exception with most pre-season finalists the 'real deal'.
Love us or Hate us... we are Collingwood - you can't ignore the Mighty Magpies!!!
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

No one is laughing now.

I bet Mick wins a premiership at the Scum before we win our next one (since we are on track to win a flag every 20 years).
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

MagpieBat wrote: 2000 - Essendon (premiers)

2001 - Port Adelaide (semi final)

2002 - Port Adelaide (prelim final)

2003 - Adelaide (semi final)

2004 - St Kilda (prelim final)

2005 - Carlton (wooden spoon)

2006 - Geelong (10th)

2007 - Carlton (15th)

2008 - St. Kilda (prelim final)

2009 - Geelong (premiers)

2010 - Bulldogs (prelim final)

2011 - Collingwood (runners up)

2012 - Adelaide (prelim final)

At the very least, the NAB Cup winner is likely to reach as far as the semi finals. Of the 13 pre-season comp deicders since 2000, 10 have finished in a semi final or higher, with the outliers being Carlton (2005), Geelong (2006) and Carlton (2007)
Well put. You'd have to think that with as hard a taskmaster as Mick at the helm and the fact he is giving the Scum some STRUCTURE at last, Carlton should make the preliminary final this year - at least!

Remember (and this is the scary part), they were coached by a MUPPET last year! :lol:

I hate them, but I am also a realist.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Why do you hate them but he or she is a realist so much?
OEP

Post by OEP »

Jack you were one of the most vocal and spiteful MM haters on this site, but now he's at the scum he's the messiah.

The scum have a pretty good list that still has some major flaws and just like MM did with us he'll spend the next few seasons refining the teams gameplan and personal until he has the list he wants.

The scum should make the final 8 but I don't expect them to go to deep into the finals. One finals win would be considered and productive year.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

It only took Mick 3 years to take a team that was bottom of the ladder to a Grand Final.

The Blues are much further along than that and have just about the perfect age profile for finals success (they're where we were in 2010). The only real issue they have is tall forwards and Casboult looks like solving that (Mick's game does not require a star, just a competitor). If Waite's able to string games together, they will be extremely dangerous.

It's hard to think they could go all the way in Mick's first year, but the list is almost good enough (telling that they have opted to make no changes). It will all depend on how well they take to the new game plan. Remember they were very good last year before Ratten's front-running game plan was exposed for its lack of accountability and the whole club lost its confidence. That won't happen under Mick.
Well done boys!
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

AN_Inkling wrote:It only took Mick 3 years to take a team that was bottom of the ladder to a Grand Final.

The Blues are much further along than that and have just about the perfect age profile for finals success (they're where we were in 2010). The only real issue they have is tall forwards and Casboult looks like solving that (Mick's game does not require a star, just a competitor). If Waite's able to string games together, they will be extremely dangerous.

It's hard to think they could go all the way in Mick's first year, but the list is almost good enough (telling that they have opted to make no changes). It will all depend on how well they take to the new game plan. Remember they were very good last year before Ratten's front-running game plan was exposed for its lack of accountability and the whole club lost its confidence. That won't happen under Mick.
NO, Ratten was killed by injuries from the middle of last season, had he had a full list he would have taken em into at least two Finals. I know of several Scum fans who think he was crucified to get the old fart there, they are not at all rapt in MM as coach. Remember, the cold hard fact is, the old bloke got ONE flag in 17 seasons, with WC and us, yes, he got us into two early GFs, but if you dont win, it does not count. In 2011 he played four unfit players on GF day, and he came a big fat cropper, he is not a great coach IMHO, and we replaced him with a much younger coach in Bucks for a legitimate REASON, he had run outa gas. His boundary line gameplan and his obstinance are things the Blues players must come to terms with, and god only knows,it took our guys long enough ! :? :shock: