Laugh at Carlscum thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ WELL said, hammer nail, head and BANG !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
JC Hartley

Post by JC Hartley »

David, my answer to your question is 2004.
JC Hartley
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

frankiboy wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Brenny wrote:
Mick isn't dumb. He may be a senile old man, but he will adapt as necessary. Anybody who thinks 12 months out of it is going to stuff him is dreaming.

Took us 3-4yrs to get his game plan to lead us to a flag. Mick admits he was running it since about 2006 or so.

Difference is, I think Carlton are a much better unit then we were in 06.
bear in mind his "crap" game plan netted us five grand finals.

i agree with your assessment about the comparative lists. he has a lot of depth at his disposal.
I thought you guys were being very generous rating their current list as much better than our 2006 so went back and had a look at what I think was our best 22 at that time.

B. Johnson, Presti, H. Shaw
H. O'Brien, S. Wakelin, J. Clement

S. Burns, N. Buckley, S. Pendlebury

A. Didak, T. Cloke, C. Tarrant
L. Davis, A. Rocca, D. Thomas

J. Fraser, D. Swan, P. Licuria

INT: Maxwell, O'Bree, Lockyer, R. Shaw

EMG: Rusling, Lonie, B. Holland

@ Brenny. Half of that list will be defined as Premiership players, perhaps multiple and all played in Grand Finals except for Rusling. I think we should at least wait and see what Mick's current list achieves before making such statements.
based on that did we underachieve? bundled out in the first final. it was thomas' and pendles' first year.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

John Wren wrote:
frankiboy wrote:
John Wren wrote: bear in mind his "crap" game plan netted us five grand finals.

i agree with your assessment about the comparative lists. he has a lot of depth at his disposal.
I thought you guys were being very generous rating their current list as much better than our 2006 so went back and had a look at what I think was our best 22 at that time.

@ Brenny. Half of that list will be defined as Premiership players, perhaps multiple and all played in Grand Finals except for Rusling. I think we should at least wait and see what Mick's current list achieves before making such statements.
based on that did we underachieve? bundled out in the first final. it was thomas' and pendles' first year.
Hard to say, I don't think we quite had the right balance between experience and youth, I guess it was a bit of transitional period for us. All of our best senior players were probably spent and our best young players too young. Guys like Swan, O'Brien and Heath Shaw had yet to really peak while the only guys probably at their peak were Davis and Didak. Our fringe players probably weren't as good as we'd like either. One thing I can recall walking away from that final against the doggies was that I was convinced we'd be better off without Taz despite previously wanting him to stay.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

frankiboy wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Brenny wrote:
Mick isn't dumb. He may be a senile old man, but he will adapt as necessary. Anybody who thinks 12 months out of it is going to stuff him is dreaming.

Took us 3-4yrs to get his game plan to lead us to a flag. Mick admits he was running it since about 2006 or so.

Difference is, I think Carlton are a much better unit then we were in 06.
bear in mind his "crap" game plan netted us five grand finals.

Fantastic post emu, couldn't agree more, and if you want compare 06 Pies with 2013 scum think on this. The 06 Pies went within 5 points of making, and no doubt winning the 07 flag, is that where the 2013 scum are headed, I think not.
Genesis 1:1
Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »

frankiboy wrote:
John Wren wrote:
frankiboy wrote: I thought you guys were being very generous rating their current list as much better than our 2006 so went back and had a look at what I think was our best 22 at that time.

Hard to say, I don't think we quite had the right balance between experience and youth, I guess it was a bit of transitional period for us. All of our best senior players were probably spent and our best young players too young. Guys like Swan, O'Brien and Heath Shaw had yet to really peak while the only guys probably at their peak were Davis and Didak. Our fringe players probably weren't as good as we'd like either. One thing I can recall walking away from that final against the doggies was that I was convinced we'd be better off without Taz despite previously wanting him to stay.
Bet you were not saying that after we smashed pre season favourites Geelong by 13 goals in round 9!

Could of been anything in 2006; beat both grand finalists in that year if memory serves, or had done the previous year. Lost to North melbourne (?) in the last round to surrender 4th place was it?

Could of been anything, a very good squad
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

Edit: sorry, think I'm getting mixed up between years. :oops:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 327 times

Post by Jezza »

It's a big statement to make that Carlton's 2013 team is better than Collingwood's 2006 team. Collingwood's 2006 team was somewhat underrated. We had a brilliant start, a slight dip in form in the middle of the season when injuries were taking its toll and we lacked the depth to cover them, but we had strong finish to the H&A season. The elimination final against the Bulldogs was a massive letdown, and it didn't reflect on how well we played throughout the year. We secured 14 wins that season, and we only missed out on the top 4 because of percentage. I'll be curious to see whether the Blues can do better than what we did in 2006.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Jezza wrote:It's a big statement to make that Carlton's 2013 team is better than Collingwood's 2006 team. Collingwood's 2006 team was somewhat underrated. We had a brilliant start, a slight dip in form in the middle of the season when injuries were taking its toll and we lacked the depth to cover them, but we had strong finish to the H&A season. The elimination final against the Bulldogs was a massive letdown, and it didn't reflect on how well we played throughout the year. We secured 14 wins that season, and we only missed out on the top 4 because of percentage. I'll be curious to see whether the Blues can do better than what we did in 2006.
Even in two Scum flag years, against us, in 1970 and 79, I reckon we had the better list, especially 70, but those mongrels got the best of us on both days and fluked it. Another reason i detest the pricks, and always will. :evil: :!:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Carlton are looking good tonight.

Malthouse will improve them no doubt, which means we have to improve greatly from last year if we want to stick it up him because he'll have them primed.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Flashman wrote:Carlton are looking good tonight.

Malthouse will improve them no doubt, which means we have to improve greatly from last year if we want to stick it up him because he'll have them primed.

I seem to recall the year they won the pre season comp, but ended up with the wooden spoon. ! These games mean very little, practice matches at best, im not reading much into it at all. :?

John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Piesnchess wrote:
Flashman wrote:Carlton are looking good tonight.

I seem to recall the year they won the pre season comp, but ended up with the wooden spoon. ! These games mean very little, practice matches at best, im not reading much into it at all. :?
using that example of carlton's is the exception rather than the rule. if you bothered to do an ounce of research - and in this google day and age, there is no excuse for ignorance, chessboy - you'll find that most teams that make the final of the preseason comp generally make at least the prelim of the season proper that year.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Carlton were winless last preseason and not long after pantsed us.

So, all other things being equal, we should hammer them in Round 2
they can smell what we're cookin'
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Looking at it from another angle, if we win tomorrow, a Pies vs Scum NAB Cup final isn't out of the question...
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.