Do you take binoculars or listen to the radio at the footy?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

And

Post by And »

I have used a set for years. Similar to the canon one described above.
They are light weight enough to flip up any time I want to see what is going on on the bench. But yes, as the eyesight gets worse, it is easier to just keep the glasses on.

I probably use them for 5-10 minutes a quarter. Usually at the centre ruck work and to keep an eye on any players back from injury, new recruits or the match ups that are of interest.

Couldn't do without them really.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Have used them in the past when we sat in N10 but since we moved to the Ponny I haven't as we are close to the fence.

My glasses are a must. Without them I find it difficult to identify the players at a distance. Watching grey blurs isn't much fun.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Doc63

Post by Doc63 »

I always use binoculars at the footy. I've got a pair of Nikon 7x35 Action Extremes. They have a nice wide field of view - 9 degrees. They also have a lot of eye relief, which you need if you wear glasses.

Cant see the point of watching half the game on the screen on the scoreboard, may as well watch it on TV.
I hold a cup of wisdom, but there is nothing within.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Next question:

Do you take a monocle and spy glass to the football? And would you take an antique pipe, if you could? :P
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
And

Post by And »

^^ Binoculars were invented in 1854 and Footy was invented after this in 1858. So I reckon many have a valid opinion on the use of binoculars to watch games.

I can understand the one eyed supporters preferring the monocle or the spy glass. But with all due respects, what does smoking implements have to do with eye sight and stereo vision???
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

I'm just saying I'd want one if I had a monocle. Wouldn't feel right without it! :?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

I've had binocs for about 30 years and find them absolutely essential now that:
1. my eyesight is failing
2. Tickets are always on bloody level 3 at the G.

I've tried various models and brands including small opera type glasses, but always prefer the view and light provided by the larger glasses. Mine are Nikons and appear to be a similar size to Eddie's.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

I only recently got mine and tend to use them only to see the bench if someone is injured.
Genesis 1:1
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

I have used binoculars since Victoria Park days. I place them over my spectacles that I have worn since I was eight years old. Without them, activity at the Punt Road end looks like Sunball (The competition they used to have in The Sun where they printed a picture from the footy but removed the ball and you had to guess where it was from the position of the players' arms).
Born and raised in Black and White
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

You'll wonder why you didn't get a set earlier. Anything past the midfield I pull them out. You pick up some great action that you'd otherwise miss or not worry about.
I've a compact pair of Nikon but suggest get ones with a bit more beef such as these ~
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7234-Action ... binoculars

Suggest you price them up here first as the price ranges in Aust. can vary greatly.

I bought the old man a new pair season before last and the staff at the camera shops down on Elizaeth St towards the Vic Markets know their stuff. Might be worth a wander down early one morning pre match. Failing that, borrow a mates to try some out.
I left a pair at Vic Park, Round 22 1999. They didn't seem to work as well after that match.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Alien

Post by Alien »

good for a perv on the players :)
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

Never go without them. N51 home, Q36 away.
I dont think they would be very good if magnification too high. I reckon you want 6x, or 8x ... nothing more powerful.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

YES, I sure do, I have a cataract in one eye, so they sure help me a lot at footy. I got a beaut little pair from Aust geographic shop, years ago, and they are very powerful. Dunno about you guys, but I just follow the ball everywhere it goes, like i watch it glide thru the air, and i have no idea if a Pie or opposition player will mark it until it hits the pack, or if it will hit the ground. It kinda adds to the fun and suspense of the game for me. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
4pies

Post by 4pies »

watt price tully wrote:
sixpoints wrote:No mate, don't use them. My issue is the opposite. I can't read the bloody record anymore if I leave my reading glasses at home.
I can relate to that. Got my first ever pair of specks at the end of last year. Multi-focals but really needed for reading. Don't know where my feet are yet when I walk :D :wink:
same here, i use them to watch the replays on the big screen.
ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Yes indeed, especially during the breaks!!! That's if I remember to take them with me after packing the kids bags and doing 100 other things to make sure they are kept occupied if they lose interest during the game....
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.