Do you take binoculars or listen to the radio at the footy?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Do you take binoculars or listen to the radio at the footy?

Post by watt price tully »

Does anyone here use binoculars at the game?
I think I might do so this year (won a pair at the hospital raffle last year (would have preferred the house :wink: ).
If you do take binoculars to the footy:

Why?
How long did it take you to get used to using them?
What make do you have?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

Good question. I've been thinking about doing it. Left my glasses by mistake at home and flew to Sydney for the Prelim. With the lights and the weird ground up there I couldn't see the play down the other end enough to enjoy the game. Bigknockers would of transformed the experience I would guess.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

I have these Bushnell binos:

http://www.bushnellaustralia.com.au/pro ... 8x_25.html

Partner bought them for me for Xmas when we moved seats to the (what was then) new Ponsford Stand.

We sit front row of Q36, so up there it is handy to have the binos. These ones a very sturdy and you don't have to stuff around with focusing them.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

i use a small pair occasionally. when i do i usually hone in on a particular player to see what they do without the ball.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
woftam
Has liked: 1 time

Post by woftam »

I use them all the time. Mine are cheap ones though. Still it helps when the ball is up the other end.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Sometimes.
I have two pair, one is a real compact 10 power pair I bought cheap, the other is al old pair I bought from a trash and treasure market. Zenith 10x50. Work really well but a little bulky.
I usually take the compact ones, they fold up and fit in a jacket pocket.
When I use them is, I sit in the Ponsford stand level 1. When the ball is at the opposite end of the field I sometimes like to be able to see what's happening without having to rely on the TV screen. I can focus on what interests me.
The downside is you have no peripheral vision looking through binoculars. It's like watching on TV, except the bits you want.
So I use them selectively, not all the time.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
sixpoints

Post by sixpoints »

No mate, don't use them. My issue is the opposite. I can't read the bloody record anymore if I leave my reading glasses at home.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

sixpoints wrote:No mate, don't use them. My issue is the opposite. I can't read the bloody record anymore if I leave my reading glasses at home.
I can relate to that. Got my first ever pair of specks at the end of last year. Multi-focals but really needed for reading. Don't know where my feet are yet when I walk :D :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

I've had to walk back to the car to get my specks! Daughter cracks it of I sit there and go. Who's that who's that who's that!

I have a really nifty pair of binoculars, small and light, pretty good zoom, keep them in my footy bag, but i always forget I have em!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
ADRIAN25

Post by ADRIAN25 »

I do. I use them in the breaks to see the huddles and when a player goes off injured. Other than that find it had to read the play.
Adrian25
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

ive got binoculars and take them to the footy....check out what's happening on the bench, particularly if someone is injured. But it's hard, have to remove my glasses then put these up, then put my glasses back on.... lol
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
afisher

Post by afisher »

I always take them and use them for the close in stuff and for the bench . So probably use them 10% of the time , but wouldn't be without them
These are the beast and worth looking at
http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Binocul ... Binoculars
Darkstranger

Post by Darkstranger »

Yeah same, good for stoppages, breaks and to check out the benches... Other than that its pretty much for a perv on the crowd.
Fire Up

Post by Fire Up »

nah i don't use them. i just wear glasses instead.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I brought a pair once but soon realised that most of the stuff I wanted to see close up was already up on the big screen :) . Also didn't like the feeling that I could be missing out on other stuff in the bigger picture while focusing on one particular area. That was it, never felt a need to bring them again. Although, I've noticed in the past year my eyes are beginning to fail me so, who knows, I may change my mind yet.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.