Will Carlton win a flag before we do?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Will Carlton win a flag before we do?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 77

jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

A fair point Jock, but even that amended table is a little sobering for us:

Brisbane - 3
Hawthorn - 3
West Coast - 3
Adelaide - 2
Carlton - 2
Essendon - 2
North Melbourne - 2
Collingwood - 1 (the first AFL premiership)
Geelong - 1
Port Adelaide - 1
Sydney - 1

The rest have not won one.

It is more than likely after 2008 that Geelong will have two (3 since 1963). And only a little less likely that Hawthorn will move to the top of the table with 4 (10 premierships since their first in 1961), making Hawthorn indisputably the most successful club of the modern era.

Either way we have some work to do. The real point however, is how silly we look to outsiders (and I include myself in this criticism too) by claiming to be "the greatest sporting club in the land". On performance we not, we are very average indeed. :oops:
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

jack_spain wrote:A fair point Jock, but even that amended table is a little sobering for us:

Brisbane - 3
Hawthorn - 3
West Coast - 3
Adelaide - 2
Carlton - 2
Essendon - 2
North Melbourne - 2
Collingwood - 1 (the first AFL premiership)
Geelong - 1
Port Adelaide - 1
Sydney - 1

The rest have not won one.

It is more than likely after 2008 that Geelong will have two (3 since 1963). And only a little less likely that Hawthorn will move to the top of the table with 4 (10 premierships since their first in 1961), making Hawthorn indisputably the most successful club of the modern era.

Either way we have some work to do. The real point however, is how silly we look to outsiders (and I include myself in this criticism too) by claiming to be "the greatest sporting club in the land". On performance we not, we are very average indeed. :oops:
Average is an understatement, i am starting to look at lexus and wonder now.
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

It's very sad how much we are sometimes taken in by our own positive spin jimbeam. Every supporter of the club should know these sad facts. It would put everything we do, and even our expectations of the club, into perspective.

But then I remember a famous Hawthorn coach once said,"Do something! Don't just think about it! Do something!!!" Of course John Kennedy happened to be the man that developed Hawthorn into the machine it became. Reminiscent of Jock McHale in our earlier years (not as successful though).
raymond35

Post by raymond35 »

That doesn't necessarily mean Hawthorn have been terribly clever though, it just meant that they were handed outragously good zones when zoning came in. As soon as zoning dissappeared they went back to being a rabble again, as they have been for the last 15 years.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

This thread is offensive.

Mods - please delete.
Who kicked 5 goals in the 1990 Grand Final?
cobood

Post by cobood »

Sri have to run and wash my hands ;)
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

magpie greg wrote:Carlton have a successful culture and we used to have it, but no longer do.

It can only be obtained with sustained success, something we have never achieved in my lifetime.

I look forward to Collingwood winning the 7 flags to catch up to what Carlton have achieved in the last 40 years.

They have @ 20 years at most to do it for me.

WHo says I am not an optimist?

*that is assuming Carlton dont win any in the meantime
Keep believing mate. But I share you view on the club's culture absolutely.
PraiseMillane

Post by PraiseMillane »

Ah hem..
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Did Indiana Jones find this old thread or what .?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Piesnchess wrote:Did Indiana Jones find this old thread or what .?
no doubt, should we win next week, there will be alot of achaelogical artefact finding going on.

to make it simple for every one, just type jack spain in the search field. :wink:
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

PraiseMillane wrote:Ah hem..
couldn't wait another week? This thread bump would've had so much more impact :)
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

David wrote:I actually voted yes... not that I want to be a pessimist, but from an objective position it does make some sense.

We're right now about a year (or possibly two) ahead of Carlton in terms of development. Unfortunately, it's quite possible that we've already peaked, so to speak (you know, the whole "it's gonna get worse before it gets better" thing). In which case, you'd suspect Carlton might have a crack at the flag in about two years' time, whereas if we don't make it this year we might be rebuilding in the next few years.

Of course, nothing in football is certain or even always that predictable, and you know what, I still reckon we can win it this year or next. Anyway, frankly, I don't care when Carlton wins their next flag - I am far more interested in when we will.
:shock:
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Ouch.

Very thankful that I at least added that qualifying paragraph. But yeah. :shock:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

totally frank wrote:
PraiseMillane wrote:Ah hem..
couldn't wait another week? This thread bump would've had so much more impact :)
Yep, as we speak neither us or Carlscum have won a flag recently.

In 2010, we have a 50/50 chance, they have zero.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

I just voted.

The no's have it 37-36.

It was a difficult choice. :wink:
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!