Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Eagles. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd move Howe forward for this game. Without Waterman, we can cover their forward line options.
And when WAFL listed Trey Ruscoe is WCE leading goal-kicker, I suspect their 2nds won't bring in a surprise. Senior listed KPF prospect Archer Reid might have been a possibility, but he's done nothing YTD.

I'd be mindful of playing too many 1st-year debutants in the side, they'll simply run out of legs and their gam day effectiveness would be exposed, not reflecting their true ability nor upside. (Bytel and Sullivan are experienced players)

A front and back-end line-up of the following should get the job done ~

B: Bytel. Frampton. Maynard
HB: Quaynor. Moore. Markov

HF: WHE. Howe. Harrison
F: Hill Cox Elliott

Out: Mihocek, McCreery, Schultz
In: Sullivan, Macrae, Bytel, McInnes (sub)

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:48 am

We're fortunate that West Coast have come out of the game against Essendon with a few injuries themselves IMO.
They pushed the Bombers to within 6pts which is only 6pts off what we achieved the previous round.
They seemingly aren't the complete basket case they were.
More than that, when you're now entering a game with 4 and possibly 5 of your best forward mix missing that spells danger no matter the opposition.
Throw in no De Goey, Mitchell and the Marvel location and I'm just happy coming away with a win of any margin.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:58 am

The replacement for Yeo is known:
19 year old Reuben Ginbey

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coasts-reuben-ginbey-ready-to-return-for-more-crash-and-bash-in-the-middle-c-14579409

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm

If you told me at the start of the year that we would enter the West Coast game without:

DeGoey
McStay
McCreery
Murphy
Mitchell
Mihocek
Schultz

One third of our likely best 22 out, I would have said either West Coast has gone backwards in 2024, or the club is taking this game way too lightly.

West Coast hasn't gone backwards and the club isn't taking this too lightly, I thought last week was our biggest test of depth and system, this week it's an even bigger test.

Mihocek's up and down the ground and strength probably can't be replaced from those available, and the pressure of Schultz and McCreery's pressure and speed will be missed.

With those three out from last week who comes in?

Carmichael, Macrae, Allan, McInnes, Richards and Johnson seem to be the options.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:31 pm

losing Mihocek, Elliot, Schulz and McCreery out of the forward line certainly looks bad on paper, but between them they only kicked 2 goals last week.

i know there is more to it than just kicking goals, but an interesting stat all the same.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:46 pm

A Mother’s Day game —it was on a Mother’s Day in 2001 that was last time my mum went to a Pie’s match
That day we witnessed the start of the AFL career of Alan Didak who was a member of First Kick -First Goal club

Know not relevant to Sunday but a great memory

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:48 pm

I was there too, as a 12-year-old visiting from Canberra – wasn’t that great a memory for me though as it was the game where Sav Rocca kicked the winning goal against us!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:59 pm

One somewhat remarkable thing to look out for when the team is selected tomorrow night: because it’s a Sunday game, we’re going to have at least six (and possibly seven) "ins" including the players named on the extended bench. I dare say there are going to be a few names there we haven’t seen for a while.

Adding them to Harrison, Sullivan and Markov, that could be as many as ten players in the selection mix who were playing VFL just a couple of weeks ago.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:44 pm

David wrote:
One somewhat remarkable thing to look out for when the team is selected tomorrow night: because it’s a Sunday game, we’re going to have at least six (and possibly seven) "ins" including the players named on the extended bench. I dare say there are going to be a few names there we haven’t seen for a while.

Adding them to Harrison, Sullivan and Markov, that could be as many as ten players in the selection mix who were playing VFL just a couple of weeks ago.

yes, this will be an absolutely mindblowing selection.
We are going to have to play this game with a mostly VFL forward line.
But, given that Yeo is a critical out for them, I will back our mids (who last week matched Carlton) will be able to do likewise this week, with fin as a reinforcement.
We will need our backline to rebound, and the absence of Waterman helps our cause immensely there as well.
So everything will depend on how well we can accommodate our extremely inexperienced forward line by delivering it in there to our advantage.
I think Howe needs to go forward to play a Checkers like role (including running out of our F50 to take crucial linkage marks), while McInnes playes as a roaming tallish forward as well.
We will have many super inexperienced players in this game. It is at times like this that we are so thankful for guys like Pendles and Sidey to provide leadership.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 am

It seems no game in the AFL is ever a gimme and this week is no exception…for the first several weeks of the season and certainly for most of the last, the Weagles have been weekly percentage lifting stocking fillers. But recently they’ve suddenly found some form on the back of Harley Reid mania, and have lifted, which is usually the case for many teams prior to playing us. Wounded and decimated by injury it won’t be surprising if this ends up being a hard tight slog probably going goal for goal on what is arguably our least preferred ground.

This is exactly the type of game we just need to win…it doesn’t need to be pretty and it doesn’t need to be by much…just win. Considering the circumstances we could possibly look back at this game later as season defining…a true gauge of greatness is not how you go about it when everything ‘s going your way but how you meet with adversity and challenge head on and whether you stand up and overcome or bend over and succumb.

That being said, an ideal opportunity presents for someone to enhance their reputation and for some to start building one. A perfect setting for the lesser lights to stand up and do some of the heavy lifting and be counted…enter the much maligned Ash Johnson. I think his inclusion for checkers (and a resulting big game) might help him fortify his confidence erosion from earlier beat downs against tough competition.

Howe to stay back and do what he does best…why would we weaken one line to potentially strengthen another? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Therefore, Bytel in for Schultz…as close to like for like as we’ve got albeit a bit taller and faster….should be a good test to see if he’s an AFL player or not.

Finally, and probably most fittingly, Finn McRae in his last ditch saloon game…i’ve been a critic of constant calls for his inclusion so far….it’s been unbelievably tough on him to be expected to crack it in the guts immediately against tough seasoned hard nuts considering most inside mids need at least 30 or 40 games to build their game…say off half back flanker, before being thrust into the furnace of the engine room…so surely this must be the perfect stage for him to repay the faith and shine.

My suggested changes are:

Out: Checkers In: Ash (But will probably be Reef and that’s fine as well)
Out: Schultz In: Bytel (As sub with Sully into the starting lineup)
Out: McCreery In: McRae (I just like the drama and poetic symbolism)

The Mighty Pies to bring it home late with a flourish beating the Wet Toast by 15pts.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:34 am

Given, at some stage, we will be looking to play McStay, Checka and one of Reef or Ash, do both Reef AND Ash come in?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:37 am

Quote:
That being said, an ideal opportunity presents for someone to enhance their reputation and for some to start building one.

I expect that there are a bunch of fringe players who, after watching Sullivan's debut last week, are thinking "let me at the Weagles".
I hope whoever is included has a blinder.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:43 am

LaurieHolden
Quote:
Out: Mihocek, McCreery, Schultz In: Sullivan, Macrae, Bytel, McInnes (sub)

I think AJ's days are done, I feel the Great Barrier has been consistent when he has played and I would start him and have Bytel as the sub.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:26 am

you know, now, Ash Johnson will be picked and is going to come out and kick 5 and this site will blow up!
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:37 am

Pies starting to cook despite injuries, says Maynard

"We started off the year not playing as well as we should've, but I think the footy we're playing now is stacking up."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1125137/pies-starting-to-cook-despite-injuries-says-maynard

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: